Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bumble Bees In Flight Quilt

 It must be Spring
because I have been drawn 
to quilts
sharing the theme of
bumble bees
lately.
 Bumble Bees In Flight 
by Clarene O. Smith
was on display at the
Arizona Quilter's Guild Show
 I really like Clarene's use 
of yoyo clusters through out the quilt.
Very striking  
3-D effect
 set against the black background.
 Clarene wrote:
"This quilt is scrap yo yo's, 
miscellaneous squares,
and leaves, 
and my first attempt at machine track quilting"
 I think another reason I really liked this quilt
is because the layout is very unique
and quite different than anything I've seen before.
 The yo yo's along the bottom
form a hexagon shape.
A very original look.
I'm not sure how Clarene came up with the name 
for her quilt,
but I can tell you that
as I stood there viewing her work,
I kept humming
parts of
Flight Of The Bumble Bee

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a nice looking quilt!!

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow, clusters. I like that thought and execution.