Sunday, March 25, 2012

Weaving with Trudy Johnson

Many of the quilters I know express their creative talents in several ways besides quilting.
In fact, if money and time were not an issue, I think most quilters would like to do it all: quilting, sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, gardening, cooking, rug hooking, pottery, stained glass, painting and scrap booking, just to name a few.
That is why when I see a quilter sharing her varied talents at a quilt show, I'm immediately taken in, like a moth to a bright light.
ZAP!
Trudy Johnson has been weaving for 35 years, and she set her loom up for demonstrations at the Quilters of Trilogy show.
Trudy uses small scraps of fabric to weave the most wonderful things!
I could have stood by her side all day and watched her create patterns on her loom.
Weaving is on my someday bucket list.
Such beautiful colors as she makes her own fabrics.
Trudy made a cape for her daughter from 11 yards of wool.
I know it may seem odd to cut up wool, just to weave it all over again, but I related to the process.
Remember we are quilters who cut up perfectly good pieces of fabric into little itty bitty bits and then sew them all back together again.
Just because we can.
And must.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can totally relate to what you say!
Karen

Needled Mom said...

Such gorgeous work!!! I love to watch weaving and she looks like she is a very creative person with her fabrics and scrap use.

Lois Evensen said...

Wonderful fabrics! I remember seeing fabric weaving at the home of Abraham Lincoln's mother on the Lincoln Trail in Kentucky.

Gayle said...

Wow Nedra - Her work is gorgeous. The majority of weavers only make rugs, so it's cool to see some of her work made into more than that!

9patchnurse said...

You are so right! Two years ago I discovered a cool place near where we rent a beach house every year. They have almost a dozen floor looms with lots of baskets of fabric strips and anyone can give it a try. They sell lots of woven things for charity. I am fighting the urge to get into weaving, but it's hard.