Thursday, March 15, 2012

Arizona's Centennial Commemorative Quilt

Happy 100th Birthday Arizona!
While attending the Arizona Quilters Guild show, I was finally able to view the Commemorative Quilt I've heard so much about this last year.
82" X 82"
Created and designed by a team of the most outstanding quilters and historians in the state of Arizona.
Jammed packed full of geographic locations and significant events that have marked 100 years of statehood.
Beautifully quilted by the most talented Gina Perkes and Susan Vasallo.
There are so many interesting sites in Arizona that we are still in the process of discovering.
Did you know that the original London Bridge built in 1831 was dismantled and then reconstructed over Lake Havasu?
As a child, I remember camping in a little silver bullet trailer very similar to this one!

So beautifully done.
The back of the quilt honors the staff that created this amazing quilt.
I know they dedicated years to the design and construction.
Fabulous!
The Centennial Commemorative Quilt will travel the state during 2012 and then eventually be housed permanently at the Arizona History Museum in Tucson.

7 comments:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Wow, what a piece of artwork that is! I just love all the detail. Quite amazing!

MGM

Nanette Merrill said...

That is pretty amazing. I thought it was a poster. Or something. Wow.

Kris said...

Oh, Nedra - this quilt is amazing!! Thank you for all the close-up pictures!! I'm glad it will be hung permanently in Tucson; I just might get down back there some day so I can see this quilt in person!! Kris

fiberchick said...

How fantastic! It reminds me of vintage souvenir scarves...

Abby and Stephanie said...

Like a painting. That saguaro cactus is stunning.

Janet said...

That's an incredible piece and so beautifully done. Thanks for showing it to us.

dream quilt create said...

That is one incredible quilt!!