Sunday, March 18, 2012

Crazy Quilts

I've taken a lot of pictures of vintage Crazy Quilts, but not very many modern day interpretations.
I was especially happy to see 2 contemporary CQ versions at the Arizona Quilters Guild show.
All Creatures Large and Small by Gerlinde Hruzek won First Place in the "Other" category.
This artist used so many mediums in the making of her quilt:
Needlepoint, embroidery, applique, crochet and ribbon work to name a few.
The far away picture just does not give justice to how wonderful this quilt really is.
The close up shots give a much better visual.
Look at the imagination and variety!
Someday I would really like to make a Crazy Quilt.
(Maybe it's because I'm a little crazy?)
These pictures bring wonderful inspiration.
I could have stared for hours to visually absorb all there was to see.
It almost felt a little bit like an I-Spy quilt.
Do you spy 3 cats?
Or a fish?
Imagination made and quilted by Sheila Groman
Sheila wrote "Imagination is a fanciful Crazy Quilt created with applique, standard and silk embroidery, ribbon, lace, heirloom gloves, needlepoint, crewel, beads, cross-stitch, and tatting."
Whew!
Yes, I'd say Imagination is a perfect title.

10 comments:

Leeann said...

Allie Aller did a post on this quilt here's the link with quilt makers name etc
http://alliesinstitches.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/gerlinde-hruzeks-all-creatures-large.html

Nat Palaskas said...

I'm crazy about crazy quilts. I hope to make it one day. These are gorgeous, thanks for sharing - hugs Nat

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have always wanted to make one of these too and have a little booklet that shows how to do the stitches - I have just never gotten around to it - maybe one day?
Karen

Laura said...

WOW! What a quilt! Thank you for the close up pics of this quilt. Such a lot of work went into this piece.

Crafts4others said...

That quilt is amazing. I especially love the first picture of the cat. My mother loves crazy quilts as well. I have yet to make one. Perhaps I will make a small one someday.

Gina E. said...

I've made several CQ blocks, but I don't know yet if they will end up as a quilt! Mine are not as heavily embellished as these; guess I'm a bit too conservative. But I do enjoy making them.

Susan Shufelt said...

Yes these are wonderful quilts. I too make crazy quilts and these two are stunning. Thanks for sharing them. Susan

Paula said...

I've been collecting fabric, embroidery thread, lace and many other things for embellishments for a couple of crazy quilts I want to make. Watching tutorials and seeing beautiful works inspires me.

Anonymous said...

I've been collecting fabric and trimmings most of my life to make a crazy quilt. My grandmother made them. I even have a kimono style jacket that she made that I treasure. I'm almost done with my quilt. I worked on it for years then put it down. Recently retired and plan on finishing the corners and borders, then on to the next one. I have two more in the works. One is Asian inspired with fabric I collected in Japan and many older kimonos that had partial damage but plenty of fabric to work with. The other will be all black with colorful embroidery. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Does anyone make in a queen size if so how much would cost be ty