Friday, March 2, 2012

Snow Flying Sideways

This morning when we awoke the sun was shining gloriously, reflecting bits of sparkling crystals on top of pure white snow banks.
But, most of our days prior we have experienced one storm after another, with window views of snow flying sideways.
We've huddled in the warmth of Rae Ann's cabin, as content as 5 bugs in a rug, quilting away.

Yesterday we ventured out, and headed into Afton to have lunch at our favorite restaurant Rocky Mountain Seafood and Fish, where they fly in the freshest fish in Wyoming.
We then walked across the street to visit the local quilt shop The Cottage, where everyone knows Rae Ann by name.

When I saw these cute children's aprons, I knew I needed the pattern to make a few of these for my 2 year old grand daughter.

Pattern by Cotton Ginny's.
You need to run over there and see all the fun animal and jungle designs they have created for children's aprons.

The views across the valley from Rae Ann's cabin look like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting.
The snow is now up to the top of the fence posts.

Neighbors who share homes up on the mountain, see lights coming from the cabin windows, and know Rae Ann is in town.
Without being asked, they plow the drive each morning.
Small towns offer the truest of Christian hospitality.

The drifts on the porch roof continue to grow and slide downward.
Our week is almost at an end, and we all wish we could freeze time (pun intended) and continue in our little utopia.
The ladies have been making progress on some amazing quilts.
I will be showing parts of their work in upcoming posts.

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a lovely place for a week retreat - I love the photo of the snow on the porch roof - sure wouldn't want to be under it when it falls!! so nice that people plow out the driveway.
Karen

fiberchick said...

Gorgeous photos. You are almost making me wish that we had a winter this year. What a fun retreat!

Anonymous said...

I love Star Valley. My son and his family live there, but we are wimps and try to visit only in the summer. You are brave!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like an amzing place and look at all of that snow!!!!

What cute aprons!

Gayle said...

Hey Nedra - I just got home from a week in CA and am catching up on blog reading. I'm so glad you're spending time with friends - how fun! My son's best friend has a family home in Afton - his wife is having a baby girl next month and she will be named - AFTON!

Cindy said...

Glad your having a great time nedra. Cute,cute apron patterns. I need to check them out!

Nanette Merrill said...

That is so much snow. I can imagine how much snow is at the ranch where we go. Makes me kind of homesick.