Saturday, March 31, 2012

1850 Mosaic Hexagon Quilt From England

In February we had the most wonderful meeting with our Nimble Thimbles Quilt Guild.
Professional Quilt Appraiser and Historian Karen Houser was our guest speaker.
We could bring in any of our antique quilts for appraisal, and Karen would discuss them in an open forum.
(more about that later)
What really knocked my socks off was a quilt Karen brought to share:
1850 Mosaic Hexagon Quilt From England
As a historian, Karen has purchased quite a few antique quilts for her personal collection.
I was in awe just to be able to get up close and to take pictures.
With the resurgence of popularity for hexagon quilts, I have a great appreciation for the amount of work and talent that went into the creation of this beautiful quilt.
Ann gave a very informative lecture.
I knew I liked her right away when she said "Treat your quilts the same way you would your favorite people. Don't keep them in a closet."
I took a lot of photos, from far away and up close to give you a more detailed idea of how amazing this quilt is.
A muslin back has been hand basted to protect the stitches.
You can still see the paper foundation in many of the hexagons.
These military and bank papers help identify location, and date the years the quilt was constructed.
I will be showing you more quilts from Karen's collection, and also from members of our guild.

4 comments:

Crafts4others said...

lovely quilt, especially the hexagons.

dream quilt create said...

That quilt is incredible! I doubt that just one person worked on it, I bet it was a group of ladies who hand pieced the hexagons together.

Lois Evensen said...

Once again I am enjoying another piece from the lectures you attend. I love the concept that the papers were fund to help identify info about the quilt.

The very first time we painted our home we discovered newspaper had been stuffed inside the top of the eleven column capitals that were individually hand made for the entrance hall, living room, and second floor hallway. When we got on ladders to get up there to paint the columns and found pieces of old newspaper, we were able to determine the home is more than 100 years old! The plaster also had horse hair to provide strength. Fascinating.

Cindy said...

I would love to see this quilt. Thanks Nedra for the photos, it's beautiful.
Maybe I'll get back to my hexagon quilt.