Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sewing Room Ideas

I love to see quilter's sewing rooms, where they create and find their inspiration.
I am especially happy to view organizational ideas that make our work spaces more efficient.

Kathy Silva and Kathy O'Brien
Kathy S. recently remodeled her back porch to make a quilting room, and invited Kathy O. and I over for a quick tour.
It's a long, narrow room, with great light provided by the windows that span the length of the back wall.

Kathy is a big fan of Ikea. (me too!)
Love this idea:
She placed an Ikea shelf over her design table to hold rulers, and other long objects.
I like how the current pattern she is working can also be placed on the self.
It's right at eye level and easy to access, and yet not in the way on the table.

She used the same idea by cutting the shelf down into sections to hold her threads.

So pretty.
I know the best advice for longevity of thread is to keep it in a cool, dark place free of dust and sunlight.
This back wall is free of direct light, and sometimes we want to be able to see our thread choices.

On one wall Kathy keeps most of her fabrics in a set of Ikea cupboards.

Complete with great roll out bins.

Just the right size for fat quarters and fabric scraps.

And I had to laugh at Kathy's sign.
Well put!
Thanks so much for the tour, Kathy.
I've come away with some ideas I'd like to use in my future sewing room.

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great idea to use the porch if she wasn't it much as a porch - I like the big chair in there - you can sit and mull over all your ideas and get some hand sewing done.
Karen

Doniene said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!

em's scrapbag said...

Great sewing area! Fun to see others sewing space. I have that sign and love it.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love a look in a sewing room, too. The chair was my favorite. Sometimes we just have to sit and stitch.

Sherri said...

I love looking at people's sewing rooms too...thanks for sharing! Love the sign as well!

dream quilt create said...

That room is super organized! How great to have your sewing room with so much light and so many windows and probably a really nice view. Thanks for the tour.

•stephanie• said...

i love tours like this. so fun to see where people create.

you MUST take a look at this sewing room:

http://shoprubyjean.com/2012/03/sewing-room-reveal/

WOW.
{see you soon.}

Martha said...

Thanks for the great tour! I love your blog. You keep me up on everything new in the quilting world. I hope you are enjoying your new home.

Cindy said...

Love the sign--Be Nice or Go Away.
My sewing room now has bunk beds in it. Life is good but not a lot of crafting going on!

Caro said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I would be most interested in knowing the name of the collection from Ikea the fabric storage units with rollout bins is. Thanks in advance if you can provide me with the info. Have a great evening!

Lurline said...

A great tour and I just love that sign - Be Nice Or Go Away - straight to the point and non offensive - love it, just tickles my fancy!
Hugs - Lurline.

Carol said...

OMG Nedra I'm drooling! I love those cabinets! The roll out bins are awesome!