Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Creating World Peace, One Quilt At A Time

 One of the wonderful things about attending
International Quilt Market and Festival
is that it is truly
INTERNATIONAL
As I sat in my booth watching people
walk by,
or as I roamed the aisles
I listened to several languages being spoken.
It was very exciting to see so many 
countries and talents
drawn together 
for one premier quilting event.
Even the quilts that were hung
represented a nice blending of cultures.
As quilters, I felt us doing our part
to unite countries.
Perhaps we are creating 
World Peace
one quilt at a time:)
Hani-bi
(Flowers in the Night Sky)
by Yoshiko Kobayashi
Katano-City, Osaka, JAPAN
 I found Yoshiko's inspiration quite multi-cultural
"While I was thinking about ideas for my quilt,
I was impressed with a scene in an old American movie.
The scene was that of two old men
speaking while seeing distant
Hani-bi fireworks on the horizon.
I thought I might be able to express the fire trail
of hani-bi with a sawtooth pattern. 
Hani-bi are common to the Japanese since olden times.
Now in Japan, we frequently have hani-bi shows
in various parts of the country every year,
especially in summer."
 Technique: 
Machine pieced, quilted, appliqued, embroidered

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post.

Nat Palaskas said...

Happy looking quilts!