Monday, May 17, 2010

Star Crazy May Blocks

One of the blogs I manage is called Star Crazy Log.
I get together each month with around 30 other women all over the world as we make The Quilt Show's pieced Block of the Month.
Anyone can join us anytime. The only requirement is that you are a member of The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. This is necessary so you can download the patterns each month.
To learn more about joining The Quilt Show go to:
http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/join.php
If you have any questions about joining Star Crazy Log, you can e-mail me at nedras@mstar.net

I just finished the May blocks.

For some reason, as I got ready to sew the 8" Feathered Star block, I could only find 7 of the yellow and white half square triangles.
I had just made 8, ironed them into a stack, and then poof! One of the pieces was gone.
Oh bother!
Have you ever had that happen?
I'm still not sure how the piece could have disappeared. The blocks are paper pieced and make 8 to the set.
Like a crazy woman I hunted throughout my sewing room high and low.
Did the piece end up on the bottom of my shoe? Did I sit on it, and was it clinging behind?
Someday I am sure I will locate it in some unusual space, and the mystery will be solved.
Meanwhile, I made a new half square triangle and completed the Feathered Star block.

Five months worth of blocks sit happily together now on my design wall.
Someday it will grow up to be like this.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no, I am so far behind! My fire has died to embers, better get the bellows out and stoke it up, hurry! Your blocks are gorgeous.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate it too when I loose a piece and it has happened more times than I would like to remember - sometimes it turns up and well sometimes it doesn't!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lori Holt said...

Wow Nedra...
you really got to it didn't you?
You really must be a speed stitcher.
I love them all and your color choices are gorgeous.
I love seeing them all lined up on your design wall...
x
lori

Material Mary said...

I lose my mind when sewing quite frequently...I am always misplacing things and spend much time trying to relocate them--oh well--it adds to the challenge of it all. The blocks look lovely. The quilt is a stunner.
Mary

Nat Palaskas said...

It happened to me many times too. Specially with the quilt label. Hope you have more fabric to make a new one - Hugs Nat

AnnieO said...

I haven't lost a piece like that but yesterday for the life of me I could not figure out how I cut squares out of a double layer and one was smaller than the other!! Mystifying.

That is a gorgeous quilt!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Wow Nedra your blocks are stunning, what a beautiful quilt they are growing up to be. I put away some triangles today, and the kids are finding some of them in weird places...maybe they attach themselves to our clothes and just drop off when they feel like it...funny fabric pieces! xo

Nanette Merrill said...

Fabulous. I'm watching from the side lines on this one but I am loving these blocks.

Sherri said...

This quilt is going to be so amazing...the blocks already are! I might have to join in when I get past the wedding!

bountiful quilter said...

I too am watching from the sidelines, the quilts are going to be awesome. Usually when I lose a half square triangle I find it stuck to another one after I have sewed the whole block together.