Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Class With Pam Holland

My first day of taking a class from Pam Holland has been life changing.
I will never look at quilts or quilting the same again.
She has opened up a whole new horizon for the way I will look at fabric and design.

It has been so wonderful having Pam here in St. George, Utah teaching at the School of Threadology. The facilities are state of the art, and the staff at Superior Threads have thought of every detail to make our experience comfortable.
Pam's years of experience as a teacher really shows. From the moment she began to instruct, we have been mesmerized.
Not only that, she told us the most hillarious stories from her years of travel.
Pam's warm, engaging personality is as much fun as her quilts.

Our class theme is Collage (a.An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.)
Pam brought patterns for us to work from. We had the choice of grasshoppers, beetles, butterfly's and fish.
To read more about Pam's Collage classes, make sure to visit her web site.
I chose to make the grasshopper.
Pam instructed that we would be "working on an image in fabric and quilted and appliqued in an illustrative type of quilting."
Pam showed us a series of collages she has created. She spoke of color, contrast, and texture when picking out fabrics for our projects.
We were asked to plan out our background and borders first.
Once we made our fabric selections, Pam went around to each individual and auditioned fabrics, helping us make wise selections.
This is where we could see the true artist at work. She immediately knew what would look good together.
Looking at Pam's wall hangings showed us the potential for "creative and expressive quilting."
She promised us that even beginners can make these collages.
My grasshopper in the first stages of construction.
I auditioned 3 different border fabrics before I finally found one I liked. Pam's input was very helpful.

My girlfriend Judi (Live Well With Judi) was able to join me for Pam's class.
When she first looked at Pam's amazing work, Judi felt a little intimidated and expressed that she didn't think she was creative. I knew that with Pam's guidance, we would all bring forth great ideas.
True enough; look at Judi's borders! This is just the beginning of the construction of her grasshopper and already it's wonderful!

The start of butterfly's...


And fish....
Don't these fabrics look like the ocean?

We all have become artists!
This is just a small sampling of some of the student's works in progress.
On day 2, Pam will teach us free motion quilting.

10 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Wow Nedra, you talked me into taking Pam Holland's class now. I love nothing more than a great workshop with a great teacher. I don't care abut the quilt I make in the workshop, but I appreciate a good teacher and Pam seems like a great teacher. Thanks for sharing - Hugs Nat

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

You can just tell the artistry is overflowing as she is taking pictures. Nedra Zion Park is beautiful and I would love to visit it. Looks like Pam is a great teacher to some talented ladies.

Rae Ann said...

What an incredible class! It looks like Pam was an awesome teacher and instructor. I am so happy that you were able to have her in St George an learn so much!
Can't wait to see your's and Judi's grasshopper's in person! Very nice job girls!

Abby and Stephanie said...

It seems there is nothing we can't do with fabric, needle and thread. Amazing.

dq said...

I sure wish I'd have come down to S.G. for this class. It sounds wonderful!

Nanette Merrill said...

You know bugs and fish are not my thing. but I can see how working with a "nature" medium would be helpful to this exercise in learning. what a great opportunity!

Pots and Pins said...

Pretty amazing class! I just read through your blog - I need to make sure to check in here more often - like daily - or evenly hourly - just so I can keep up on everything you do! The quilts you recently posted pics of were just beautiful - I'm still drooling over them! xo, Nan

Material Mary said...

Wow, what an experience. I am very impressed at the work coming out of this class!! Great job Nedra!!
Mary

Sherrill said...

Oohhh, Nedra, those are GORGEOUS!! I LOVE them ALL! I can tell you guys're havin' GREAT fun!

Micki said...

What a charming class that must have been! All the results are so impressive!
Micki