Thursday, May 20, 2010

Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts

Have you seen Kaffe Fassett's latest book Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts?
You know I love anything Kaffe, and I was so happy to get his latest release.

I was especially happy to get a hardback copy.

Even if I didn't make a quilt out of this book, and even if I didn't collect Kaffe's beautiful fabrics, I would want this book on my shelf.
Just to look at.
The photography captured my attention from the first page.

Geometric shapes are all around us. I am discovering in Kaffe some of the same similarities that I learned from Pam Holland. An artist sees the world in shapes and color. Squares, triangles, rectangles, circles. Through camera lens they are able to capture the simple designs around us and turn them into quilts.

Target Log Cabin

Earthy Mitered Boxes


I am going to challenge myself to take a day and photograph the shapes around me, and to look through new eyes.

These could have remained simple pieces of sliced watermelon.

Instead they translated into Tumbling Fans, my favorite quilt in the book.

Do you have a copy of SSSQ?
If so, what is your favorite design?

12 comments:

Material Mary said...

I've looked at this book more than once, but have yet to buy it. I can safely say I must get it. Love it!!
Mary

Nanette Merrill said...

What an inspiring book. It is almost like looking, tasting and smelling quilts.

Micki said...

I will have to check this book out. It looks amazing!
Micki

Becky said...

I usually read your blog in a reader. Love the new look of your blog even though you may have changed it long ago:) I don't have this book yet, but I too like the Tumbling Fans quilt. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Rae Ann said...

I did see it Nedra and I thought of you! It is a gorgeous book and I am like you in the fact that I could sit all day and just look at the pictures. I love your idea... that you are going to take pics of the shapes around you. Do you mind if I join you? I think it sounds like a blast and a half! :0)
Hugs!

Lori Holt said...

Hi Nedra...I havn't seen the book yet but you're right..the pictures are so inspiring.
I'll have to check it out!
x
lori

quiltmom anna said...

I bought this book not long ago- It really is beautiful - the photos are just so pretty and rich with color.
I have a few Kaffe fabrics now but I am not sure how I will use them.
They are so beautiful to look at- it is is hard to cut them.
Regards,
Anna

Mel said...

INTRIGUING book! The photography is exquisite and does help one see things differently!

Thanks for sharing!

Pear said...

Love this! Love your blog!

Browndirtcottage said...

Yes...great book. You have been keeping busy I see too!! Thanks for sharing all the great projects and photos!!

Pots and Pins said...

Oh Nedra!! Your post just cost me $75!!! After seeing the beautiful pics in the book I had to have it...then I had to have some fabric to go with it...so $75 later I'm home, with fabric and book in hand and I LOVE the book! I want to make about 10 quilts from it...so thanks...I think!

prashant said...

What an inspiring book.
indian classified site