Friday, February 26, 2010

More Fun at the Bryce Retreat

We are having a wonderful time here at the Bryce Retreat. It's been snowy and cold outside, so we feel fortunate to have such a beautiful lodge that is warm and cozy.

There are ice cycles hanging off the roof.

Some of the ice cycles go completely from the roof to the snowbanks below.

I taught a class yesterday called "Fun & Done". This technique is where you quilt as you go. When you finish the quilt, it's completely finished, from the quilting down to the binding.

Ruby's Inn is a large lodge, complete with indoor pool, restaurant, shops, etc. In order to hold numerous quilt classes at one time, Bonnie has come up with very creative spaces for the classes. I taught in the employee kitchen.


My samples of Fun & Done.

The students did a great job getting their first few blocks together, and learning this flip and sew technique.

I taught this class last year, again this year, and several have requested I teach it again next year. It's a great technique because you don't have to pay for a long arm quilter to finish the quilt. It makes it a little more affordable if you want to give quilts as gifts.

At the noon trunk show we had "Apron's On Parade". We were asked to bring an apron we had made for Show and Tell. This group of friends made their apron's together.

This one was called a "Daisy Mae" apron. Remember Li'l Abner?

And the trunk show are so fun because we see so many beautiful quilts. I took a lot of pictures and will show them in posts over the next week or so.
(My Favorite Things by Janice Mickelson)

Norma Whaley does a lot of Civil War type quilts.

Nanette, Shelbie and Ricci
One of the wonderful things about these retreats is meeting up with friends. We have been hanging out a little with the famous Nanette (of Freda's Hive) and her cute daughter Shelbie. In fact, both Nanette and Shelbie are helping me with a little skit today for one of the trunk shows. More about that later.

8 comments:

Material Mary said...

Looks like you are having a great time, even if you are sewing in the kitchen.
The quilts for the fun and done look really fun. I have yet to make one--I'll have to give it a try.
Mary

Natishia Curry said...

Looks like you are having more fun than I am @ the Sewing & Stitching EXPO. The aprons look GREAT.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I can really see you are having a wonderful time, how I wish I could be there, I would love to take your class and see all the wonderful blog ladies! thanks for sharing the retreat with us!

flora said...

"favorite things" quilt by Janice Mickelson not Paula McKinlay. Tell them about your fire! Great show anyway!

Pat said...

I really enjoy your blog. It is very interesting and fun. The quilts are all beautiful. Love tehose aprons. LOL

Pots and Pins said...

Oh Nedra please give Nanette a big hug for me and then ask her to give you a big hug from me, too! I went to Sew expo yesterday up here and finally bought some Texture Magic - I can't wait to try it! Looks like you've been having a great time - wish I was there too! And I LOVE that Civil War quilt - it's just beautiful! xoxo, Nan

Katie Lane said...

Nedra, I was looking through your blog and dying over all these beautiful quilts!
And then I saw a lady in one of your pictures in the green sweater. Paul McKinley, her kids are some of my good friends! small world.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love Ricci's pose. She made me laugh when she said who she was posing like. I have had to do a search on those famous quilter photos. Ricci is SO right. They are all alike!