Monday, January 11, 2010

Textured Tote with Razzle Dazzle

I'd like to be able to say that in the last few days Judi and I have been sewing, sewing, sewing, but the reality is we've been spending time with family and talking. I know we must have solved at least half of the world's problems. Wonderful girlfriend time, and much needed for both of us.

I did just finish another Texture Magic Tote that I will be sending off today to Wickenburg, Arizona, as a store sample.

Texture Magic Totes designed by Annie Unrein can be found on Superior Threads website.

One of the new and delightful experiences for me in making this tote is I tried a thread I've never used before.
Razzle Dazzle by Ricky Tims for Superior Threads is an 8 weight, heavier embellishment thread. It's made of polyester and metallic and comes in the most beautiful shiny colors.

Because Razzle Dazzle is so thick, it can't be threaded in the needle, and needs to be wound on the bobbin.
This is perfect to use with Texture Magic because you draw grids and sew from the back of the project.

Razzle Dazzle is also soft and pliable, so it works well when the fabric is steamed and shrunk.

I love how it sparkles.

Even though this was my first experience doing bobbin work, it was easy to do! I wound the thread onto the bobbin on my machine, just like I would do with any other thread.
I used MasterPiece as the top thread, and just increased my stitch length a little. I had so much fun experimenting, I know I will be using more decorative threads in the future as I work with Texture Magic.

13 comments:

Live Well With Judi said...

I've seen it in real life and it's so darling! I made one in the Threadology course taught at Superior Threads and now that I've seen yours, I want to make another. You did a wonderful job. It's great to be solving the worlds problems with you!

Helen said...

Oh, gosh...you inspire me!! Thanks for your ideas and your photos.

Hugs

Quilting Queen said...

That is so cute. I have been wanting to give the Textured Magic a try - and I'm always in need of a new bag!! It is darling with Superior Thread!!

Jewel said...

You have inspired me Nedra... I bought some Texture Magic to try out.

Material Mary said...

I'm loving the texture of the thread as well as the magic...
Mary

Di~ said...

Awesome bag Nedra. I really love it!

Vivian said...

Wow! I never got to make anything like that when I was in home ec class or making projects for 4-H. Everything I sewed was boring.
This is just too cute.

Betsy said...

I love how it made the bottom of the tote look like that. Very unique.

Unknown said...

This tote is so cute! I love the razzle dazzle thread, it really adds additional texture and color. But the sparkle is fantastic. It really does compliment the Texture Magic well. What is the pattern name for that tote?

Janet said...

What a great tote, I can see me with that as a project bag, lots of room but not too giagntic. The thread is lovely, did you have to thread it through the bobbin hole in the finger?

bingo~bonnie said...

what a cute tote! I'm new to your blog - got here from another link... ;) but I just had to say, that is a great piratical yet pretty bag - easy to open and easy to close up ;) love it!

so you said you are sending it as a sample... does that mean you will also go and teach a class or patterns for sale?

Can't wait to get caught up on your new to me blog ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Micki said...

That tote is just so pretty! I never did bobbin work like that, and I will have to try it!
Micki

Nanette Merrill said...

So incredibly cute.