Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fiesta Salad

One evening last week when I joined Rae Ann's group at their retreat, Jackie Thomas made a very delicious dinner: Fiesta Salad.
I came home and made it for my family because I knew it was something they would love.
I like to prepare meals in the winter that I can mostly pull from my pantry.

Jackie used this organic blend of rice as the base. I knew I had to run over to Costco right away and get some.

Look how pretty it is, even uncooked.

First line a buttered 9" X 13" pan with torn tortillas. (You can use either flour or corn). Jackie used corn Tortilla Chips and I think I liked them even more in the dish.

Cook the rice according to the directions, and layer on top of the tortillas.

Mix the next 7 ingredients and layer on top of the rice.
*I added a can of chicken in, also. I think this is a great recipe to use what you have.
Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.

Comes out bubbly and warm and delish!

After the dish has cooled a little, place on top of lettuce, tomatoes. You can add a little more grated cheese and some tortilla chips on top if desired.
Yum! Thanks for the recipe Jackie.
This recipe is also good as a left over. My family liked it as much the next day, heated up and used as a dip with tortilla chips.
FIESTA SALAD
1 1/2 C. cooked rice
15 oz. can black beans
15 oz. can corn
1/2 C. salsa
(1/2) 4 oz. can sliced olives
1 C. sour cream
10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1/2 C. red or green onions diced
tortillas or tortilla chips
grated mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese
Romaine lettuce
Tomatoes (diced)
Break of tortilla chips or tortillas in a 9" X 13" buttered dish. Place the cooked rice on top, and add the next 7 ingredients on top. Sprinkle with 1 C. cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
Cool and place on top of romaine lettuce with tomatoes and grated cheese. Extra tortilla chips may be served.

5 comments:

kclily said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it.

Sherri said...

This sounds wonderful! I must get to Costco to pick up some of that rice!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Yum! You've made me hungry! ;-) Thanks for the recipe!

Vivian said...

Yum is right! This is a definite recipe to try. Thanks!

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great dish. I am always looking for rice recipes.