Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dixie Diva January Day Meeting

On Saturday we met at Bev's for our Dixie Diva January day meeting.

Jan K. , Pat and Bev
Most brought hand work.

Verny and Ricci

Margaret, Jan J. and Melissa.
Some worked on aprons.

Pat is hand quilting what I know will be her next award winner.

I have to brag a little about our very own Pat Peters. She just got back from Road To California where her quilt "Birds and Roses" just won 2nd place for Traditional Large Applique.
Congratulations Pat! We admire your beautiful work so much!
(and to think, sometimes I get to sit next to her).

Bev is working on making more baskets. She thinks this is a great way to use up part of her stash.
Right now Bev is making baskets with Christmas fabric, and will use these for gifts later in the year.
I wanted to show you a technique Bev has created to make wrapping the cording a little easier.
She puts a towel on one leg, so her clothes don't get sticky as she applies glue to her fabric strips.

Bev also places a large paper clip on the end of her strips to keep them at a workable length, and to also provide weight as she flips them over the cording.

Eventually the wrapped cording will be sewn into a basket.

Bev is quite serious about trying to use up her stash, and has been making a lot of scrap quilts.

This is Bev's second quit out of this pattern.
She said she doesn't want to make any more half square triangles for a while!

We finished our day together with sharing a warm pot of soup made by Bev, and side dishes provided by everyone else.
Being a Diva is the best.

10 comments:

Material Mary said...

Sure looks like fun. Does Pat do lap quilting on all her quilts? I want to start hand quilting some things, but I do not have the space to set up frames for more than 1 day or we are on top of each other. Would she mind if I contacted her through email to find out a few things?
Mary

Kim Walus said...

You definitely have a wonderful group of women with such great common interests. I always look forward to what the Diva's are up to and that quilt of Pat's is gorgeous it's no wonder that she won. Congrats to Pat!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the Bird and Roses book but doubt I will ever make it! She did a really good job.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Unknown said...

The first thing that caught my eye was in the first picture. Pat working on her quilt. Oh, I can't wait to see that one!! Her second place winner is absolutely gorgeous. It is now wonder it won a ribbon. I would have been surprised if it didn't. That scrap quilt is just gorgeous, what is the name of the pattern? Such talented ladies.

Metanoia said...

Wow. Love the scrap quilt. I am on a mission to use up some of my stash too and am having a quilt along.

Rae Ann said...

It sure looks like you had a wonderful day with your Diva girls. I must say...we missed you!
I love the quilts that Pat and Bev made. WOW! Pat is what I want to grow up to be.
That is a neat way to make cording. Thanks for sharing that!
It was great to go to church with you today. We enjoyed it so much!
Hugs!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Thanks for all the inspiration! I love the scrap quilt! And what a great way to wind the fabric strips to the cording. Thanks! And congrat's to Pat on that awesome quilt!

Jana said...

I can't imagine sitting in a room full of fun, talkative women and quilting award winning quilts, which your friend Pat obviously can do! Amazing quilt!

Bev's quilt is a beauty also!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I can see why that gorgeous quilt was a winner!

Nanette Merrill said...

Aw fun. They look like a group I'd enjoy. And the projects are amazing.