Saturday, July 3, 2010

North Rim of The Grand Canyon

Mr. Cactus asked me if I would like to get out of the St. George heat, and spend a day with him driving over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
I jumped at the opportunity.

The North Rim is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from our home, making for a very nice day trip.
Did you know that The Grand Canyon is considered one of the 7 Wonders of The World?

The temperatures were in the mid 70's with a slight breeze. The minute I saw the stunning landscape, and breathed in the clean air, my senses began to relax.
God has certainly done a magnificent job with His creation.

Angels Window
Even though I am afraid of heights, I was very proud of myself for walking out to the edge of Angel's Window. I think I could do it today because I didn't have any of my children with me.
Many years ago we took our young family to the Grand Canyon. I had the one and only panic attack I've ever experienced in my life.
We had to leave.
Mr. Cactus likes to call it our "2 hour vacation".

Today was much more serene. Meadows were filled with purple Lupine.

And the Cliffrose were in bloom.
Cliffrose is a shaggy evergreen that the Indians used to make sandals, mats and ropes from the bark, and medicine from the foliage.

We ate lunch at the Lodge, overlooking the rim's edge.

With outdoor seating in the most spectacular setting.

Mr. Cactus is a very good tour guide. I love to travel with him because he studies maps, and plans fun outings in great detail.

We went on some easy hikes along the rim.
The Colorado River has carved this canyon.
Did you know that some of the crevices are a mile deep and are over 275 miles long?
In many sections, The Grand Canyon is 10 miles wide.

By late afternoon, we decided it was probably best to head back home.
Although, I think I could have stayed at this very spot for days, and just let the world go by.

16 comments:

Maria said...

Oh, my daugters war in Grand Canyon too, Bryce, Zion, Sedona... We have many Photo, wonderfull.

Carol said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking us on the vacation!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Heavenly! Just heavenly! Our trip to the Grand Canyon many years ago is still one of my very favorite family memories! What a breathtaking beauty it is!

Your husband sounds like a fun guy!

MGM

Kim said...

We stopped at the north rim a few years ago. What an awesome place. I would love to go back. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Chartreuse Moose said...

WOW! I've never visited the Grand Canyon...until today! Thank you so much for taking us along with you! Your photos are wonderful, any one of them would be a delight framed on a wall...to just relax and gaze upon! Thanks to the tour guide too! ;-)

AnnieO said...

What a lovely day's outing! Thanks for taking us along :)

Sherrill said...

I LOVE the Grand Canyon. Did you do that new Grand Canyon Skywalk where you can actually see underneath you? Sounds kinda scary but cool, too!! We need to go back again.

Rae Ann said...

Absolutely stunning! I am so happy that you were able to slip away and escape the summer heat to go with your DH on a mini vacation. What a TREAT! Beautiful pictures!

Doreen K. said...

Fabulous...I just went and told my husband...I want to go. Not been there yet.

Nat Palaskas said...

Nedra, you live in a beautiful part of the country. Glad you spent sometimes with Mr Cactus Needle. Lovely pictures thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Nat

Jan Marie said...

Nedra, I love the north rim of the Grand Canyon. When I take my students there, a great intake of breath occurs when they first see it. You got great pictures, but pictures can't convey the "Grandness."

SewCalGal said...

Lucky you to be able to pop over to the Grand Canyon like this. We've been wanting to go there for awhile, but haven't yet been able to lock in a date. Hopefully soon!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Gayle said...

I don't understand why the South Rim gets SO many more visitors than the North Rim. It's MUCH nicer there as you've discovered.

Barry & I have been in NY visiting his brother for the last week, but I got a little computer time in and was able to read your blog. Sounds like you've been as busy as me!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

It has been years and years since we visited the Grand Canyon - will have to go back sometime, thanks for reminding me how pretty it is!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

liloca, liloquinha said...

Moro no Brasil, e se existe um lugar que quero conhecer é este!!!! MARAVILHOSO!!!!!!!
liége

Di~ said...

I went down the Grand 28 years ago when my first baby was 5 1/2 months, believe me that took a lot of courage. In Aug. of '11 all my family are going down it again, except for me! I'm staying home to tend my new grandbaby that will be 14 months old by then.