Friday, April 9, 2010

Mumbo Gumbo Class #2

This week I taught Mumbo Gumbo at Quilted Works, a local quilt store here in St. George. A very fun store, with a great staff and wonderful fabric selection. If you are ever in town, make sure to stop by. QW has recently expanded and has more to offer than even before.

Mumbo Gumbo by Pie In The Sky Quilts

This quilt is such a great stash buster. Quilted Works put my quilt up on the wall and the sign ups went into a waiting list. I think we all are trying to figure out what to do with our bins of leftovers.

The room was full in every corner, with students working away like busy little bees. This is such an easy quilt to make. There is one basic block, that looks like a half log cabin.

(Charm C.)
One of the things that made it even more fun for me was that several people that I know from our quilt guild signed up for the class. So delightful to sit and visit with friends as they worked.
Mumbo Gumbo takes on such a variety of looks depending on the fabric selections.
Charm made her blocks out of bug fabrics she has been collecting for years. How cute is that!

Another student made hers out of all novelty fabrics. I loved every piece she brought. As I looked at her fabrics, I kept thinking how much I would love to shop with her sometime. Have you noticed how others have an "eye" to see things you would never see?

For instance: see the green peppers?
And my favorite piece were these dogs in purple. I wanted to run away with a few of her fabric strips.

One student was adding in strips of minkee here and there, that brought in texture and demention.
Another used fabrics from her childhood and the Halloween costumes she had made for her children. We spoke of how looking at the quilt in future years will be a trip down memory lane for their family.

One Mumbo Gumbo will be in all pastels.

Linda Adams had left over strips that had been pieced. Great idea to add those in too! I thought this was a wonderful idea if you have left over strips you would like to use that are too small. Make the blocks even more scrappy.
It made me think of the old adage "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without."
Tomorrow I will be showing you several variations of Mumbo Gumbo made by the Dixie Divas.

11 comments:

Martha said...

Love this quilt! Can't wait to see tomorrow's post. Thanks for such a great blog. I check it everyday.

Gayle said...

Scrap quilts have always been some of my favorites Nedra - and this one is great! How fun that your class had a waiting list - are you going to teach it again for those who didn't get in?

Material Mary said...

Nedra, if I were closer, I would take your class. Looks like a riot.
Mary

Jana said...

Sounds like you had a very fun class! Wish I could have taken it. It's such a fun looking quilt! Love all the variations there were with the fabric.

Em said...

I am so disappointed that I didn't realize you were the teacher of this quilt. I LOVE LOVE Quilted Works and would have loved to have taken your class. I am teaching one on the 22nd and I can imagine you saw the stars hanging up that the Green Fairy had quilted. I will look for your class in the future!

Lori Holt said...

i would love to make that quilt nedra...i'll have to put it on my to do list!

Suzanne said...

Goodness --- you quilters put the rest of us sewers to shame!!! Gorgeous!

SueR said...

What an interesting and fun looking quilt. I'll bet the workshop was a blast. I can see where this would be a great stashbuster.

Rae Ann said...

Nedra... this looks like such a fun event. I love the dog print.
Darling quilt... I wish I could have been there to take your class!

Unknown said...

Wow, I just had an idea after reading all your students plans. Wouldn't this also look great in my African fabrics too??

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh gosh I am hoping we can sew there Friday. What a great set-up. And a nice store. It is so fun setting up like that and taking a class.