Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Radiant Star Quilts with Pat Knoechel

Pat Knoechel, sister to Eleanor Burns (of Quilt In Day fame), offered a trunk show for the Nimble Thimbles quilt guild last night.
I haven't done an Eleanor Burns pattern in years, but I remember they are well written and have wonderful diagrams and pictures.

Pat showed a lot of quilts and techniques.
First she shared with us several designs from the 2nd edition of Radiant Star.
Quilt In A Day published the 1st edition over 20 years ago, or as they call it "BC" (before color).

The new book is full of color.

Radiant Stars have always felt a little intimidating to me because of all the bias edges.

Their web site says:
Radiant Star has traditionally been one of the most recognizable quilt patterns and until now, among the most difficult. Eleanor Burns has done it again with detailed, no-fail directions, making this star easy, fast and most of all fun to put together.Inspiring photos in a variety of quilts show some of the many colors and styles in which the Radiant Star can be made and the possibilities are endless. Updated methods and tools are used to create strikingly beautiful starbursts of intense color and diversity.Book features Eleanors new line of fabric from Benartex called Perennials.

Pat gave us a few tips that made the stars look easy.
She suggested using Best Press or a similar starch to keep the bias edges from stretching.

The Radiant Star design can also be known as several other names such as Lone Star, Texas Star or Star of Bethlehem (to name a few).

Coming from the name Quilt In A Day, someone asked if this quilt could actually be sewn together in a day.

Pat smiled and said "Well, it might depend on who is making it!"
Isn't that true? Some women sew like speed demons, and others (like myself) like to just mosey along.
Tomorrow I will show you more quilts from Pat's trunk show.

7 comments:

Miki Willa said...

These are beautiful. One of these days, I am going to get up the courage to make one of these. I will have to find a copy of that book. Thank you for sharing.

Needled Mom said...

It has always been one of my favorite quilts. Those fabrics are just amazing! The bias edges always have me cringing too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can't see sitting at a sewing machine for the hours needed to complete a quilt like this in one day - I don't think I can ever sit long enough to sit at a machine for more than an hour or two a day! Something like that would certainly take hours.
Karen

Abby and Stephanie said...

Beauties! I love this pattern.

Me and My Stitches said...

This is yet another pattern that I want to make "some day"!

Material Mary said...

I have always loved the radiant star...one day...
Mary

Kris said...

Nedra - These quilts are fabulous!! My first quilt ever was a Quilt in a Day Log Cabin and I still love it!! Kris