Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Quilt Camp Project

Amidst all of the beautiful quilts and wonderful activities going on at Quilt Camp, I worked on my own project too.
I didn't get a finish, but I got close.
I needed my design wall at home to place the rows together to make sure the darks and light sections balanced out.

Remember all of those reds and pinks I cut out before leaving?
These sections will soon be sewn together to complete Cross Terrain.
Modern quilts have been calling to me this last year.

Cross Terrain designed by Lee Heinrich of Freshly Pieced
Lee offers a free pattern and tutorial over on Moda Bake Shop.
She made her version using a jelly roll of Terrain by Kate Spain, which has a lot of color variation.
I wanted to use up more of my red and pink scraps.
Free pattern + left over scraps= Free Quilt!

There are two mirror image blocks to Cross Terrain, which are simple to make.
Many people walked by my table and thought at first I was making a Bow Tie.

If you decide to make this pattern, I would suggest following Lee's tip of pressing ALL of the seams OPEN. At first I was a little resistant, wanting to speedily press as we usually do "to the dark side". Pressing open takes a lot more time. Trust me, Lee's reasoning all makes sense when you start sewing the blocks together at the end.

9 comments:

Dolores said...

Good for you on getting it done. It's a beauty.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I really like your reds and whites. Looks very nicely balanced to me. Happy Thanksgiving.

Material Mary said...

This is a great scrap quilt to use up all that fabric goodness.
Mary

Janet said...

I love the pink and red quilt, what a fun stitching time you've had. ave a happy thanksgiving.

fiberchick said...

Oh Nedra this is gorgeous. How do I get on your gift list?!! Have a wonderful holiday...

Julia said...

I love it Nedra...would love it in all scraps too, I'm looking for scrap quilt inspirations.
Julia ♥

Lois Evensen said...

So pretty. That would be beautiful in a pink bedroom. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen this quilt and thought to make it sometime - glad to get the hint of pressing the seams open!
Karen

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great stash buster. Fantastic.