Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Quilt Camp/ Part 1

Quilt Camp with the Nimble Thimbles quilt guild was a lot of fun.
We stayed up at a Christian youth camp in the mountains of Prescott, Arizona.
The setting was rustic, slightly primitive, and stunningly beautiful.

Many women finished several projects.
I especially liked this one.

We looked a little like a sweat shop, speedily sewing away hours on end.
Machines humming, happy chatter, good music, and lots of snacks.

When we arrived there was snow melting upon the ground.
From my chair I could look out the window and watch the leaves falling.
We did take a little time out from sewing for short walks through the trees.

Melanie came so prepared, she even decorated her machine.

Kim had a nice table mat that kept all of her supplies right at hand.

Shouts of "A Finish!" rang through out the days.

I'm always drawn to observe what other people are working on.

Beautiful batiks





Lee Anna was our delightful Camp Queen, who organized the arrangements and made sure our needs were taken care of.

All of her efforts are as a volunteer with the guild.

I only had one request from her.

I asked that next year everyone cut out 2 kits of the projects they are making, and give one to me.

Seriously.

I wanted to make everything everyone else was making.

Can you believe she just laughed at me?


I sat next to Pam who was working on a very scrappy quilt.

I love scrappy.

At first I was a little curious when I saw the individual blocks because Pam's fabric choices did not match on any level.


But once the quilt was put together, it worked!

This reminded me of a antique quilt where they used little pieces of what they could find or trade.


Are you looking for a homemade item to be given to another guild member?

One of the ladies made this Christmas ornament as a gift.


Sew cute.

5 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

I love scrappy quilts also. Looks like the retreat was a success. Love that little ornament. Thanks for sharing.

fiberchick said...

They are all gorgeous finishes but that first quilt is extra sweet.

Jana said...

Oh the scrappy quilt is gorgeous! Would love to know the pattern! And the table mat to go under your sewing machine is genius! Looks like you had alot of fun with so many women!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that scrappy look quilt - she really pulled the colors together well didn't she.
Karen

Jackie's Stitches said...

Everyone was working on beautiful project. I love, love, love that first quilt.