Sunday, June 23, 2013

Red and Black Pineapple Quilt

 While viewing over 300 quilts at the
Prescott Loves Quilting Show
my eye kept going back to quilts made by
Kathy Beeson
I love her use of color.
 Red and Black Pineapple
Made and Quilted by Kathy Beeson
 Kathy wrote:
"One of my friendship groups did a 
pineapple challenge
using a particular tool that everyone purchased.
I had seen a picture of a quilt similar 
to this one that I loved,
so I simplified the block and created this one."
 "Every block in the quilt is the same pattern.
It is the color placement that gives it the design."
Pineapple Steps from About.com
The Pineapple block has been in existence since the 1870's
and is a complicated version of the Log Cabin block.
Radiating from the center, it is both 
horizontally and vertically symmetrical.
 The Pineapple is a traditional symbol of hospitality.
As women migrated with their families out West
 after the Civil War,
this quilt block was made as a reminder of genteel values
they left back East.
 I'm not sure if they could have envisioned the 
bright and bold colors now
used with our Modern quilts?
I personally love it!
Very nice job, Kathy

3 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

I like those colors, too. You show us so many beautiful quilts! Thanks.

Unknown said...

That quilt is absolutely beautiful. You go to the best quilt shows.

Kris said...

Stunning!!!