Thursday, March 31, 2011

Long Grove Quilt

When I was at the Arizona Quilters Guild show, I was especially impressed with Long Grove by Georgia Thorne. I want to live in this quilt. A pictoral, with a beautiful blend of techniques. With 3-D houses Thread play and buttons. After seeing this quilt, it made me want to get out my machine and experiment with a few more stitches. Fabulous movement in thread. Georgia wrote "Growing up in the Midwest, I was influenced by the many layered landscapes. This further challenged me to use various techniques and textures to portray the fields, and a small town, Long Grove, IL." Long Grove won the Hall of Fame award, presented by the show sponsor to a quilt deemed worthy of recognition. Inspirational work, Georgia! While visiting this show, I enjoyed learning more about the Arizona Quilters Hall of Fame, an organization that is dedicated to celebrating the contributions of Arizonans to quiltmaking. They have a very impressive web site, offering a virtual museum, monthly quilt show, and E-newsletters.

13 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

How very fascinating. It reminds me somewhat of a machine quilt I made for my sons when they were little. I don't quilt much, but this one just came to me as I looked at all the pieces of fabric I had left from making their overalls with appliques of animals and toys on the front. I bought coloring books for the basic artwork to cut out the appliques for their clothes. Then I turned the scraps into a city they could sleep under or use with their hot wheels. I believe the piece lives in my son's home somewhere and has been used by his sons. What a fun memory.... Thanks for bringing it to mind.

Jan Marie said...

I love the 3 D effects of this quilt. I want to live there to. Oh wait I do.

AnnieO said...

This is a charming and intricate and beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing. I can see why it is both inspiring and a winner!

Material Mary said...

What a fabulous quilt. I love hearing the background of these quilts.
Mary

Gayle said...

And I'd like to live next DOOR to you in that quilt! Sure makes me feel good looking at it!

Sylvia said...

What a wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Live Well With Judi said...

I love it! I never cease to be fascinated by the creativity that comes from some people. It can cause you to feel pretty 'regular' yourself, but it is also so inspiring!! It's a beautiful quilt and she did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing. Hugs

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing that one, it's amazing and has so much detail and texture in it.

Truffle queen said...

Beautiful quilt! Makes me want to try some of her techniques! And you WOULD want to live in Long Grove! I've been there many times - it LOVELY!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Oh I want to live there too. Love the different effects...very textural and what a great mixture of so many techniques.

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Very cool and the greens are like in the spring when it rains. I loved anything in quilting that can take you back to a place that you have been and that quilt really does...love the details....thank you for sharing!

Nanette Merrill said...

What a work of art. It is my kind of art quilt. Realistic, interesting, and still a quilt! Love it.

Lynette said...

Wow!!! Sure would love to know how she executed her 3-D pieces.