Monday, September 15, 2008

She's Here!

Many years ago when we built our home in Draper Utah, I met Ruth who had just built her home up the street. We became instant friends. Have you ever met someone who has changed your life so completely? That would be Ruth. I have learned so much from her wisdom and guidance. We've raised our kids together, gone on family vacations, and become just like family. I even worked for her part- time at a small herb store she owns in Draper. We love to quilt together, and Ruth has even gotten her daughters to join us in our quilting addiction. Moving away was especially hard because I was moving away from my dear Ruthie. I knew I still had so much more to learn from her.
About a month ago, Ruth's oldest daughter moved to St. George. We were so excited! My husband was their realtor, helping them find the "perfect" house for their family. Monica was expecting baby #5 and was put on bed rest right before the move. It gave us the opportunity to become surrogate parents and help out a little bit. As I've spent time with Monica's beautiful children, I've gotten a small bit of a needed "grandma fix". They are a delight to be with.


Yesterday Monica brought home her new baby daughter. Even though she was born 4 weeks early, all is well with baby and Mom. Monica had spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between the hospital the last few weeks, but great medical care helped to get the baby here safely. Isn't she beautiful?

The minute they came through the front door, everyone was wanting to hold her and get to know their new baby sister a little better.

Everyone got to hold her for two minutes, then the next child had a turn.

You can see how loved this baby is already. Monica will have such great helpers.

Big yawn! Meeting the family can wear a girl out!

Monica looks so good for just having had a baby the day before.

While spending time with the kids I started a new applique project. Tonye B. Phillips sent me this new pattern of hers called "Satchels". I've always wanted to make a basket quilt and I thought this would be a great way to highlight some Kaffe Fassett fabric. I love how the baskets are different sizes.


I made two yesterday while the kids watched a Disney movie.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats to Monica and family and to Grandma Ruth;) The baby is adorable. I love the headband. Your quilt is very fun and the fabrics are great!

Nanette Merrill said...

Its darling. I've always wanted to do a basket quilt too. The baby is lovely. How wonderful.

Carrie said...

Beautiful baby -- makes me want to hold her! The baskets are cute. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Anonymous said...

NEDRA!!!!
I was so glad to hear from you. Your blog is beautiful. Thank you for posting the pics of the baby, i haven't been able to see her yet!
You are such a sweet-heart to take care of monica and her family. They've told me how wonderful you have been. Its so great to have such fabulous freinds. We love you!