Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Millefiore

"I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them."
I've completed three more blocks from my "Satchels" quilt. I was feeling pretty good about myself until I counted how many I have left to do. Only 60 more to go....whoohoo! At least I find applique relaxing. Last night I went to book club and was able to stitch as I listened to the comments on some wonderful books.

All of my blocks so far are made with Kaffe fabric. My favorite lines in his designs are always the "Millefiore" (pronounced: Mill-fee-OHR-ee). Millefiore is an Italian word meaning "Thousand Flowers. It's an original technique used by glass makers, then adopted by polymer clay artists. I love when the design is transfered into fabric.

Beads from the 1920's
From the V & A museum
I'm also working away on my Fun and Done quilt. The first 3 rows are completed with middle sashings.

5 comments:

flora said...

wow.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
actually it's pronounced "mill-ay-fee-or-ray"....in Italian, the e is most often said with the sound of ''ay''. just like when you go to starbucks and you order a grande or "gran-day"....love kaffe, nice baskets.
~anna

Dionne said...

Your 'fun and done' quilt is wonderful! I bought everything to start one, but never had the nerve to do it. Seems I kept getting distracted by everything else.

Yours is so beautiful. Was it easy, difficult, or just not bad? Your colors are great.

Keep Quiltin',
Dionne

Nanette Merrill said...

If I didn't believe you and realize that you wouldn't "lie" that those are fun and done blocks I seriously wouldn't get it. I trust you though. And I saw your method but they look so complex. Its something I have a hard time looking at and not thinking EEEK.

The sachels or purses are darling. That is some fabulous idea.

Eileen said...

Oh my goodness! I am so far behind reading blogs.. so this is the first I've seen your basket/purses blocks. These are truly adorable. I hope to see more of them.. when you have time! :-D