Friday, April 5, 2013

Scrap Happy

Kathy MacCleary 
has produced hundreds of quilts.
A selection of 
about 20
are currently on display 
at the 
Gilbert Historical Museum's
The Art of Quilting Show
 Scrap Happy #2
An original design (2011)
The floating 9-Patches are all
1-inch squares
 Long arm quilting by Debbie Stanton
 The Garden (2012)
This was Kathy's first attempt at 
English Paper Piecing.
Hand Pieced and Hand Quilted.
 Cattitude (2010)
Kathy said she decided to 
"work outside her traditional box"
 A wide variety of techniques
 Kathy is known for her beautiful hand quilting.
She wrote:
"This was an exercise in free motion hand quilting,
if there is such a term."
 Homespun Sampler (2011)
 I could see how Kathy's precision 
as a draftsman 
comes through in
how all of her plaids
line up perfectly even.
 On the cards accompanying each quilt,
Kathy shares with us some of the challenges she has experienced in life,
and how quilting has provided comfort and healing: 
"The last 6-8 inches around the three sides were
had quilted after I lost the use of my right hand
from a small stroke.  This was the perfect exercise
to get the use of my hand back."
These are just a small sampling of  Kathy's quilts on display
at the Gilbert Museum.
To view more,
the show will be open through the end of May.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Those quilts are absolutely beautiful. I love the homespun sampler. What pattern did she use.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad she got back the use of her hand after a stroke. She has beautiful quilts for sure!

Lynette said...

Oh!! Cattitude takes my breath away. And I just love that little square dangling off the first quilt. :)

Carolyn Sullivan said...

thaose are awesome!

Cindy said...

Of course I love the garden. And scrap happy #2 just made me happy!

Nanette Merrill said...

That floating 9 patch is fantastic. I love it.