Thursday, April 4, 2013

Kathy MacCleary- Quilter

 The 8th Annual 
Art Of Quilting Show
is currently running 
I ran over on Saturday,
excited to meet
featured artist
Kathy MacCleary
 As I walked in,
Kathy was hand quilting
this fun scrap quilt
and answering questions
about her life and work
as a fiber artist
and hand quilter.
 Kathy received her education as a
Architectural  Designer and Draftsman
and designed custom homes
in Gilbert Arizona.
She has now retired to Payson,
and is quite involved in the quilting community.
Kathy has produced hundreds of quilts,
and I noticed she just took home 
a ribbon in the 
2013 Paducah AQS Show
 Know for hand quilting,
I was curious to see Kathy use
a Stab and Stitch
method
rather than the traditional rocking needle technique.
As you can see, it works well!
I am drawn to scrap quilts right now,
and enjoyed seeing her
use of little tiny pieces of fabric.
Many of the squares were an inch in size
and I noticed she put them together in
a somewhat 
mixed Rail Fence layout.
Kathy's quilt reminded me of
by Amandajean
recently published in the
March/April edition of
Quilty magazine.
Maybe I should I be saving all 
of my little scraps?

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

every now and then I hear of a hand quilter using the stab stitch, which is normally how they learned to quilt. I started that way too but quickly changed over to the running stitch as it is easier I think. Love that quilt she is working on.

Needled Mom said...

I am loving the scrap quilts too. Her quilting is really nicely done.