Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Crosses and Losses Quilt

 Viewing traditional quilt blocks
helps me realize how
old becomes new again.
Solid color quilts
have really gained in popularity
in the last year.
 Crosses and Losses
by Norma Spaid
currently being shown at 
the Art of Quilting Show
at the Gilbert Museum
is a beautiful example
of mixing a Vintage block
with new solid colors
so readily available in the 
market today.
 Norma wrote
"I have admired the Amish quilts for years,
and really wanted to have one.  
I couldn't afford to buy one, so I made my own.
I used 100% Kona cotton,
and I think I have 15 different colors
in my quilt."
Just out of curiosity I looked to see 
how many solid colors are now
available in
243 
to date
with more to come
 The Crosses and Losses block name 
was inspired by the Bible.
It's also known as 
Old Maids Puzzle
or Double X
The pattern has been 
available since
the Civil War.
Norma's border really ties this quilt together.
There are a lot of 
free patterns and tutorials 
on the Internet
for the 
Crosses and Losses block.
I found a well done post
by Pam Weeks

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that block! I have used Kona cotton a lot in my quilts over the years - solids sure have been in haven't they

Weaveron Textile said...

i love you quilts pattern.