Monday, April 15, 2013

Giddap and Ararat in Double Knit

 I have had the Giddap and Ararat
quilt blocks on my to-do list for 
a while.
Even though the chaos from our 
Presidential elections 
are over,
I still think about these blocks
and really need to 
make them a priority.
 
 Giddap/ Democratic Donkey
 and Ararat/ Republican Elephant
were very popular patterns
when they were published
in 1931 by the
Kansas City Star newspaper.
 Darlene Reid displayed her version
at last years Art of Quilting Show
at the Gilbert Museum.
 Imagine my surprise when I saw
both Giddap and Ararat
Completed C. 1970's
made from white cotton and
Double Knit Polyester
at this year's show.
 From the collection of Gail Van Horsen
 These Double Knit versions
are quite a bit larger
and much bunchier
 than Darlene's.
All hand pieced and hand quilted.
 Truthfully, I'm not a fan of the Double Knit,
but I do appreciate the maker's effort,
and realize that sometimes
as quilters
we work with what ever materials 
we can get our hands on.

3 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I have a quilt made entirely of donkeys. It was made by my dad's family using feedsacks. I believe it was made in the 1930s and I shared it a few years ago. Mom gave it to me. I have plans to make a "new" one.

Needled Mom said...

In double knits?? Oh my. That had to take patience.

I love mine that I did after you showed us pictures of them last year. They hang in my studio.

em's scrapbag said...

They really are cute blocks but I bet double knit is hard to work with.