Saturday, December 17, 2011

Temple Grandin

With only a week left in the countdown to Christmas, I'm sure everyone is busy with sewing, cooking, shopping, wrapping presents, and all the other festivities that surround this beautiful holiday.
Sometimes it's important to slow down for a minute and watch a good movie with the family.
Mr. Cactus and I watched a well done DVD last night that was inspiring, and brought us both to tears.

Temple Grandin is a true life story of "an autistic woman who becomes one of the top scientists in the humane livestock handling industry".
The movie covers so much more.
We are shown how Temple's mind interprets life in pictures, rather than in words, and gain a stronger appreciation for the brilliance that often accompanies austism.
There is a wide scale within the disorder, with prevalence estimated in 1/110 births.
If your life has been affected by a child, family member, neighbor or friend with a developmental disorder, I'd highly recommend Temple Grandin, an HBO/TV Film.
Available on Amazon.com
Claire Danes does a brilliant job as Temple, and won numerous awards for her performance.
The highest credit goes to Temple, who in 2010 was listed in Time 100 among the top 100 most influential people in the world in the category Heroes.

8 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh yes, It was amazing as is she...

Unknown said...

I think I will have to check this one out! Thanks for the recommendation!

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like an amazing film. I will have to check it out.

Kris said...

I love stories about real people who are real heros!! Thanks for the heads up!!! Kris

Janet said...

I must admit that I've been avoiding moving stories but this one sounds so great, thanks for recommending it.

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie. Just goes to show what someone can do /be even with a "diagnostic label". My son has the book & I just talked to him yesterday about it.

fiberchick said...

I loved this movie too. If this was made as a feature film release and not television, Clair Danes would have won an Oscar for her work in this role. Temple Grandin's story is so inspiring!

Linda said...

One of my favorite movies! Saw her on TV recently.