Monday, June 13, 2011

Splash

I've had a wonderful time taking care of my grandchildren the last few days.
Some observations:
Water features are essential to combat the scorching temperatures of an Arizona summer.
One of the impressive offerings throughout the town of Gilbert are the abundance of splash pads for children.

When the sun rise starts streaming through the curtains at an very early 5:15 a.m. the kids think it's their own personal wake up call.
The grandmother in me soon realized that by 7:30 a.m everyone was dressed, fed and heading into the "better give me something to do before I start poking my brother phase".
Grateful the morning temps are still in a comfy stage, we headed to the nearest neighborhood park, complete with splash pad.


Our daughter lives in a beautiful pre-planned community, where private lakes, quaint streams dotted with ducks, and well designed play grounds are provided as part of their HOA.

Splash pads work well even for the younger babies.
At 18 months, Kayla squealed withe delight, chasing the water.
Isn't she a cute bathing beauty?
I love her swim suit and have been contemplating how to make a zig zag quilt following the same design.
(Hey, aren't we told to look for quilt patterns in everyday things?)

The water tower is similar to the historical water tower that still stands in old downtown Gilbert.

Did any of you play the board game "Mousetrap" as a kid?
The big buckets that filled with water, and then in turn dumped on children's heads, brought a lot of laughter.

Man made rainbows...

And rainbows caused by light reflecting in water droplets.
A perfect, happy, carefree summer morning.


And Miss Fashion Statement still thinks she needs to wear her brother's shoes no matter where she goes.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Beautiful memories, beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing both with us, hon.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

That's what summer ought to be!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen these parks in the cities but none in the small towns around here - only when I am traveling do I see them - such a good idea for parks to have.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jana said...

Oh my that's early to be up for the day with little kids! Of course nothing is better than being with the grandbabies! Looks like a fun park to play at!

Needled Mom said...

What a great outing for the children!!! It is definitely a heat buster idea, but it was a wonderful adventure for you and the children. They look as though they had a blast. How about Grandma????

Truffle queen said...

Not only did you beat the worst heat of the day - you beat the crowds!! Photos with no one else around! FUN FUN -

Mary Grace McNamara said...

What fun you must have had with your darling little grands, Nedra! How lucky you are to have them nearby and be able to do fun things with them. We have a few of those zero-depth water parks around here too and they are so nice for little ones...no worries about falling in and drowning! I love that little one in her bathing suit with the fat tummy and chubby little legs! I just recently saw someone's quilt that was just like that! If I discover it again, I'll send you a link.

MGM

Jan Marie said...

Nedra it sounds like a wonderful morning. I hope you were able to get a little rest later in the day. I find that my body has slowed down quite a bite since my own were little.

Gayle said...

Too fun! It looks like you had the whole place to yourselves! Did you know that Katie Hughes lives in Gilbert?

quiltqueen73 said...

Very special times for everyone, great pictures. Looks like a great place to live. No wonder you want to be close and enjoy the blessings.