Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hugs and Kisses

Remember yesterday when I mentioned I found another quilt that had been hidden away on a top shelf with Garden Fence, and all it needed was the binding to be finished?
Hugs and Kisses is now complete:)
I'm not sure if I should be doubly embarrassed, or doubly happy, or maybe both.

Hugs and Kisses was made as a mystery quilt a few years ago at a retreat with Quilts, Etc. in Sandy, Utah.
We did not know the quilt we would be making or the fabric choices.
At the beginning of the retreat each person is given a number. When your number is called you have about a minute to run up to the table and grab a bundle of fabric.
Then you run back to your sewing machine and start working on the first instruction page. Once that page is complete, you go back and get page #2.
By the last page, you begin to see what your final quilt will look like.


Can you see the X (in white) and the O (in orange)?

It also looks a little bit like Tic Tac Toe.


I went to these annual mystery retreats for about 10 years with a group of my girlfriends.

Happy memories.



This summer I have set the goal to seriously work on UFO's.

Most of my unfinished projects have been placed in a big plastic bin.

With a little fear, I've peeked under the lid.

I admit I suffer from a case of Quilters ADD, and seeing those unfinished projects has brought forth twinges of guilt.

I've decided to change my attitude and to think of them as new presents instead!


And I remind myself of the projects I HAVE finished.
Or as one reader commented "Better late than never!"

More this next week of those little surprises in the bin.

13 comments:

Lynette said...

Fun quilt, too. Love the flowers quilted on it :D

Lois Evensen said...

Very nice. Sometimes it is nice to have something started to use as a go-to project while allowing the mind to develop the next design. That works for me while I am creating and need a break to do something while my mind does something else. :) That will only make sense to other people who do that! ;)

Unknown said...

Nice to find this quilt! How fun is that having only a minute to get your fabric and then start the project. Almost like a quilting game show of sorts. I personally think you should be doubly happy!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I absolutely love the idea of how that mystery quilt was run - what fun to go and grab a bundle and some instructions and have no idea where you were going with them - I want to come and play too!

Me and My Stitches said...

Making a mystery quilt sounds like so much fun - aren't you glad you have it finished? I need to work on UFOs too - seems I have to be in the right mood, and that hasn't hit me for awhile!

Me and My Stitches said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Material Mary said...

Lucky you...2 more finished quilts and they are both beautiful and will no doubt be enjoyed!!
Mary

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh that is beautiful, what could be next in that fun pile of UFO'S!!!

Gina E. said...

Ha ha, you are funny, Nedra! I giggled at your remarks about peeking under the lid of your UFO box with fear! You are not alone, you know - grin! Before I got on to the internet and discovered a whole new world of stitching and stitchers, I thought I was the only person alive stupid enough to have all these unfinished projects (so did my husband). It was such a relief to discover that we are nearly all in the same boat!

Needled Mom said...

Be doubly happy!!! It looks wonderful and the quilting is beautiful.

Nat Palaskas said...

Such a happy and fun quilt. Love the name too. You did a great job on it - Thanks for sharing - Hugs Nat

Jan Marie said...

can't wait to see what you have in store for us from the bin.

Char said...

I have done the same this summer, but only because the guest room was put into use for a few days.
It's really funny, one of the quilts I found is similar to yours.
I love the fabric with the paisley.