Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chew, Chew, Chew

A few people have had questions about the Elephant title in my last post.
Realizing that blogs are viewed by people from all over the world, I will explain a little American saying.
When approaching a task that is large or time consuming, we often quote:
How do you eat an elephant?
Answer: One bite at a time.
(meaning, break the job down into small pieces and then it won't feel so overwhelming)

Chew, Chew, Chew
I'm still working away on the outer border of Criss Cross, with all those 268 little one inch squares.

Sandy Klop of American Jane Patterns uses a great technique for placing the squares on point.
First she has you chain piece long sections like these.

And then trim down the sides allowing 1/4th inch for the seam line.
Easy, but they do take some time and are a little monotonous.
A nice time to gather up some good DVD's from the library and sew away.

With it being July, a month that reminds me of patriotism, I watched Glory.
Made in 1989, but this is the first I've seen it.
I remember my children watching this movie in high school as part of their education on the Civil War.
Glory is based on the 54th Volunteer Infantry, the first formal unit comprised of all blacks.
Excellent movie, with an outstanding cast, and winner of 3 academy awards.
It certainly kept my attention, and made a few hours go by fast.

5 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Wow, you are busy. I haven't seen that movie, either. It looks like a good one.

Browndirtcottage said...

I think what attracts me to this quilt IS the little black/white checks. I LUV EM!!!!
I just know you'll have that whole elephant eaten in no time at all!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

You are amazing sewing all these teeny squares, fabulous job Nedra. xo

Lynette said...

I remember when "Glory" came out. It broke my heart! Keep chewing away - it's going to be AWESOME!!

Lynne said...

Wow, I love this quilt!