Friday, January 23, 2009

Zion Retreat Day 2

Another wonderful day here at the Zion Retreat. For this post I will only show Celtic quilts by Philomena Durcan. She taught classes today, and did a trunk show at our banquet this evening.
Philomena introduced Celtic designs in the 1980's to the quilting world

My favorite is from her book "The Children of Lir". I know many of her other designs are far more intricate, but for some reason the one below calls to me the most.

Some of the projects being worked on by the students in Philomena's class.

Below are from this evening's trunk show:





Philomena Durcan

The first Celtic quilt she made was in green and pink.






The hand quilting and trapunto work is amazing.




Click on a picture to have it enlarged. Notice the intricate detail in each quilt. Amazing.





Tomorrow I will share with you some of the other classes that have been offered.

2 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I wasn't sure how I'd missed so many of your posts and just saw you're having computer problems. LOVE the Celtic quilts. I have a book and would love to make something small to remember my trip to Ireland.

Trisha said...

Celtic quilts are so beautiful! One of my LQS has a class to do a very simple Celtic table runner. I have thought about taking it before. Maybe someday I will.