Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Log Cabin Blocks

Every January the Dixie Quilt Guild hosts "Zion Retreat". We hold the event in Springdale, Utah -- "the gateway to Zion National Park". Springdale is a beautiful location, and we feel fortunate to be able to meet and quilt as friends. Our guild is large, with around 200 members, and this retreat is usually well attended. This year the featured teachers will be Philomena Durcan of Celtic Quilt Designs, and Amy McClelland of Under The Garden Moon Designs.
I leave tomorrow for the 2 1/2 day event. Thursday night we will have a "Block Party". Admission is two quilt blocks, and a treat to share. The blocks should represent something about ourselves. One will be donated, and the other is to be worn during the retreat.
Today I worked on my blocks, trying to decide what would represent me well. I selected a 12" X 12" log cabin block.

If I could live my dream, I would live in a log cabin home in the mountains, surrounded by trees. You may be wondering why I live in the desert then? Because St. George is Mr. Cactus' dream location. And I like it here too.
As easy as this block is to make, I have never made a log cabin quilt. It's on my wish list of one I want to do someday. When you see red centers in a log cabin quilt, they represent the heart of the home.
I'm looking forward to this retreat. I'll have my camera and laptop with me so I'll share more with you in the next few posts.

3 comments:

Ricci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Dayton said...

Never knew you loved log cabin homes, mom! I'll come and visit you in the mountains :) I miss them...

Nanette Merrill said...

I absolutely can't believe you've never made a log cabin! Wow. The one I have that is special to me looks a lot like yours - same type of colors/fabric combos. They are fun to make.