Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

Today I have been remembering September 11th, 2001. It seems almost like yesterday, and yet it's been 7 years since the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and flight over Pennsylvania. I think I will always remember, like everyone else, where I was the morning the information came on the news. I can remember the room around me, the chair I sat in, down to the details of conversations I had with friends and family.
In conjunction with the sadness of the event, I'm also feeling very patriotic today. I'm proud of our country. I'm proud of how we pulled together in the aftermath. I'm grateful for a nation who's faith increased, and the united effort that went into healing. In review, we began to volunteer more, we began to attend church more, and we renewed our conviction to God.
I pulled out one of my Americana quilts today to remind myself of patriotism. I have a deep respect for the American flag.

A few years ago I had the privilege of going to Manhattan with my family and viewing the Trade Towers site. Until I stood on the corner and saw the absence of high rise buildings, I don't think I really comprehended the immensity of the destruction. I had seen TV specials, I had read books, but for some reason I just couldn't get my mind to wrap around the horrors of that day. Before I saw the actual site, September 11th just felt like a very bad Hollywood production. Now I understand more of the personal impact 9-11 has on each of us. What happens to one, happens to all. I mourn deeply with those who mourn.

Today let us be a little kinder to each other. Kiss the ones we love, and express gratitude to those we hold dear. A day where we as Americans embrace those of different nationalities and color, and look beyond the extremism of individuals who try to destroy. For me I want every September 11th to be a day to connect with my family and friends and celebrate the gift of life.

2 comments:

Di~ said...

Very well said! No wonder I posted red white and blue today TOO! I love on your quilt the vines embracing the flag! What a nice unique quilt. Thanks for visiting my blog. Diane

Debi said...

What a beautiful quilt, I love the flag and the vines. I would like to invite you to join us in a quilters blog giveaway. Please check out my site for information. http://fallintofallquilters.blogspot.com/