Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Millefiore

"I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them."
I've completed three more blocks from my "Satchels" quilt. I was feeling pretty good about myself until I counted how many I have left to do. Only 60 more to go....whoohoo! At least I find applique relaxing. Last night I went to book club and was able to stitch as I listened to the comments on some wonderful books.

All of my blocks so far are made with Kaffe fabric. My favorite lines in his designs are always the "Millefiore" (pronounced: Mill-fee-OHR-ee). Millefiore is an Italian word meaning "Thousand Flowers. It's an original technique used by glass makers, then adopted by polymer clay artists. I love when the design is transfered into fabric.

Beads from the 1920's
From the V & A museum
I'm also working away on my Fun and Done quilt. The first 3 rows are completed with middle sashings.

5 comments:

flora said...

wow.

annafogg1 said...

Hi,
actually it's pronounced "mill-ay-fee-or-ray"....in Italian, the e is most often said with the sound of ''ay''. just like when you go to starbucks and you order a grande or "gran-day"....love kaffe, nice baskets.
~anna

Dionne said...

Your 'fun and done' quilt is wonderful! I bought everything to start one, but never had the nerve to do it. Seems I kept getting distracted by everything else.

Yours is so beautiful. Was it easy, difficult, or just not bad? Your colors are great.

Keep Quiltin',
Dionne

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

If I didn't believe you and realize that you wouldn't "lie" that those are fun and done blocks I seriously wouldn't get it. I trust you though. And I saw your method but they look so complex. Its something I have a hard time looking at and not thinking EEEK.

The sachels or purses are darling. That is some fabulous idea.

Eileen said...

Oh my goodness! I am so far behind reading blogs.. so this is the first I've seen your basket/purses blocks. These are truly adorable. I hope to see more of them.. when you have time! :-D