Friday, September 5, 2008

I Need Help

One of my goals for 2008 has been to squeeze out some self control and not buy new quilt fabric and projects. I have bins of patterns, along with matching fabric for more awaiting projects than I can almost comprehend. Sometimes I like to revisit those bins, and it's almost like Christmas. "Oh yes! I remember buying that in 2006, or was it 2005?" A little embarrassing.

Then there's the "stash". Left over fabric from finished quilts, or fat quarters that I thought I might use someday. I bought these canvas shoe hangers to organize my stash into colors. You'd think I'd clean it up a little before sharing this picture, but well... this is my real world. I keep pulling out of it, and think I'll get back to straighten it later on. Another goal for 2008 is to start wheedling down this pile. I've purchased lots of patterns for scrap quilts, and I have good intentions of getting to those too!

Some people have food storage that will help them in case of an emergency. I have that too. But this is my fabric backup. What if money gets tight and we can't afford to buy any more fabric? I have enough to keep me busy for years. I would even be willing to share with my neighbors in case they were cold and needed another quilt. Funny how I can rationalize another purchase. I finally decided I could only buy fabric this year if it was to complete an existing project. Somehow that made me feel a little better.

OK-- I've been very good. For me that is. Then in yesterday's paper there was a 30% off coupon for a local shop. No fair. That's pulling out the big guns. I saw this line by Robert Kaufman called "Creatures and Critters". Doesn't it just look like it needs to be put on the back of a quilt? What if it's not available again? What if this is the only time I will ever see this line, and I need it for that future quilt? Just touching it wouldn't hurt, would it? Of course, it came home with me. I need therapy.

Then there was another 30% off coupon for any craft item. I saw this wonderful new book by Denyse Schmidt. I want to make everything in it. She gives instructions for 20 different craft projects and 10 quilts. For you doll makers, make sure to see the cat pattern called "The Three Faces of Steve". The name alone made me laugh.

I have considered getting help, but then I would have to spend money on therapy instead of fabric, and that just doesn't sound like any fun at all.

7 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think most quilters can identify with your little "problem." Very nice stash, Nedra!

Carrie said...

I love seeing your stash - what a good idea to use the she organizers. I'm laughing as I read this post because I can relate to it!! Thanks for making my day.

Nanette Merrill said...

Well your sickness is more of a plaque at my house. Fabric is art. I love it and it makes me smile but I agree. Enough is enough! I keep trying to scale back. But fabric keeps getting more lovely all the time. I cut into some new Farmer's Market apple fabric today and it felt like delicious lovliness. It was so beautiful and smooth and colorful. It was like the plaque fever was over taking me. I have no help to offer you. Just sympathy.

Patty said...

Well, your fabric stash story makes me smile; I sure am glad I came across your blog today!

Browndirtcottage said...

My theory......with fabric prices as high as they are....if it's on sale....GET IT!!

Ulla said...

You are not alone with your problem, and I think it is a good idea to try to make the quilts from stash and just buying what you need to finish. And to buy when there is a coupon, or a sale, or when something is too lovely to be left in the shop. And then perhaps make another quilt from stash to feel better!

Elizabeth said...

Um..... I've been organizing my sewing room today. I am out of control. I didn't realize I had so much. In our old house I keept them in bins. I moved just the bins but here I have drawers and cupboards to keep them in so I've spent time to day folding and organizing all my fabric. I know I should make several scrap quilts but new fabric keeps coming out. I want that. If it were going to be on the shelves for a few years it would be one thing but if I don't buy it now it will be gone. Maybe I should do every other quilt a scrap quilt. That's been my goal for the last two years. However in that time I have finished exactly 0 scrap quilts.