Monday, January 2, 2012

Just Takes 2 January Blocks

As of yesterday, January 1st, Just Takes 2 made available their first set of January blocks.
I was excited to see what this Mystery quilt will look like, and downloaded the patterns right away.

I had a little time last night and worked on the 5 of the blocks.

Block #1 involves easy applique. I noticed this block comes from Dear Jane, which makes sense with Brenda Papadakis as one of the coordinators of this Quilt Along.

Block #2 traditional Churn Dash

Block #3 traditional Square in A Square.
There are optional embroidery designs available for a small fee, but I'm going to leave mine clear for now.

All of the blocks are 6 1/2" except for block #4 that finishes at 12 1/2"

Block #5

Block #6 are appliqued hearts.
Not really my taste. (sorry Gay and Brenda)
I'm being a little rebellious already and will substitute this one with another 6 1/2" block (yet to be determined).

The good news is I'm having fun already!
I really like the crispness of the red against the white, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this quilt will turn out.
For these blocks I used a solid red, but in the future I plan on pulling from my red scraps. The background will be a consistent Kona White.

7 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Classic two color combo and great blocks.

ritad said...

I haven't started yet, but will very soon. I'm using Kona white and all my different reds, from my stash.. This is going to be a fun QAL..

Maxine said...

I hope to join in as soon as I figure out how to download the patterns. I do not have a blog so I hope I can still do the mystery quilt...I will also be using red and white...I do enjoy your blog

Lois Evensen said...

Red and white are so pretty together. Your block #5 would be perfect for a whole quilt for Valentine's Day. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

red and white are some of the best color combo's around. I need to check out that link.
Karen

Janet said...

Red and white looks so crisp, I did my blocks yesterday too and had fun with the piecing which I haven't done in a long time.

Needled Mom said...

Very nice!