Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Farmer's Wife Sashing

I've had several people e-mail me, asking what colors I will be using for the sashing on The Farmer's Wife quilt.
Last night I had a little bit of time to place the blocks up on my design wall and play with ideas.

I really like the On Point setting shown in the Farmer's Wife quilt book.
I put all 50 blocks up on the wall, and auditioned colors from my stash.
One of my goals is to make this entire quilt as a scrap quilt and only use fabric I have on hand.

My fabrics are very different than the original quilt made by designer Laurie Aaron Hird, which was made with dark Civil War type fabrics, and brown sashings.

Maybe because I've been a City Girl most of my life, I wanted to use more of the current fabrics on the market today.
Final decision: a Kona solid gray for the sashing, and a Kona blue for the cornerstones.
Because these are from my stash, I can't remember the exact color names, but if I were to guess they are close to Medium Gray and Cornflower blue.

I still haven't decided what color I will use for the setting triangles.
I'll keep you posted.
But, I do have to say that I like the Farmer's Wife quilt even MORE now that the blocks are framed with the sashings.

19 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

So very pretty! I love watching the progress.

Terri in BC said...

Those sashings look fantastic - the more I see gray used, the more I like it!

Abby and Stephanie said...

This is going to be a terrific quilt and I think your sashing choice is perfect. Love "on point."

Cardygirl said...

Looks great...love the sashing!

Dolores said...

It really is stunning with the sashing.

em's scrapbag said...

This looks fabulous!!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that looks great. I haven't taken my blocks out in so long to look at them - I really need to and see what they look like - I have forgotten!
Karen

ritad said...

The sashings really bring this quilt to life, don't you think? I had the same thing happen with mine.

Material Mary said...

It is looking totally delicious!! Keep it up and keep using up that stash!!
Mary

Needled Mom said...

It looks so pretty and I love the setting.

Nat Palaskas said...

Just gorgeous Nedra! I love the blue sashings with this the setting - hugs Nat

Anonymous said...

It's so beautiful!! I love the colors you've used - it seems to "pop" in all the right places! Way to go! xo, Nan

Kris said...

Oh, Nedra!! The sashing is perfect!! I just got my book today and will be starting the blocks as a quiltalong on February 1st!! Your beautiful work has inspired me - thanks!! And I am only using stash fabrics as well!! Kris

dream quilt create said...

It looks really beautiful! The sashing makes such a difference. My sashing color is very similar, I'm using Freespirit Slate. I bought if at Crafter's Vision. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ellen said...

I love the sashing. It works so well...my question for you is, did you have that sashing in mind as you selected your scrappy block fabrics? What process did you use for fabric selection? I can't wait to see your choice for the setting triangles. Thanks fo sharing your journey.

Sherri said...

The sashing and cornerstones are PERFECT! Love them!

Shattered said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bingo~bonnie said...

wow - isn't it amazing what sashing colors can do to start to really bring a quilt to life???! Your Farmer's Wife is looking FANTASTIC!

I see your blocks use a lot of red, orangish and yellows... may I suggest you search your stash for some of that pumpkin color that your blog has as a background on the right?? I think that would look sensational against the grey and blue you've used! :)

Love from Indiana! ~bonnie