Monday, January 23, 2012

Farmer's Wife Setting Triangles

I've made a little progress on my Farmer's Wife quilt in the last few days.

I now have the inside assembled with sashing, cornerstones and setting triangles.

Many have asked what color I was going to use for the setting triangles.
I decided on another Kona solid, opting for a lighter blue.
Why?
Because I had a piece large enough in my stash, and I liked how the colors played together.
*remember, one of my goals in making this quilt was to use fabric only from my stash :)
This really has been a scrappy quilt, using somewhat the same process our grandmothers used when they made quilts.
I didn't have clear idea of how the finished quilt would look when I started.
I just jumped in, started making blocks with left over scraps and hoped it would all come together in the end.

I like this quilt even MORE now that the inside is complete .
Next, I will be auditioning some fabrics for the outer border.
I still have enough of the darker blue originally used for the sashing.
What do you think?

18 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Spectacular!

Cindy said...

Just beautiful! Great job Nedra.

Jana said...

I am loving the scrappiness of this quilt! It is beautiful!

Sue said...

Looks great and I love that you used sashing fabric from your stash. That shows very good discipline. I don't think I could do that! VBG!

Cardygirl said...

Looks absolutely fabulous!

Dawn Hendrix said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.. I am seriously considering making it.. your colors really bring it to a modern edge with traditional blocks!

fiberchick said...

WOW!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love how it is looking!!
Karen

Jackie's Stitches said...

It's beautiful! I really like the idea of using the same sashing fabric for the first border. It will really frame the quilt. I love the use of stash too!

Caro said...

Very nice job. I love how the sashing and setting triangle colors work well together.

amy smart said...

Nedra, this is SO beautiful! I'm so impressed. Even more so since it's a stash quilt. Love it!

Janet said...

Wow, wow, wow, it looks awesome and good for you making great use of the stash too.

•stephanie• said...

fabulous!
i love that you stuck to your goal of only using what's in your stash.
it looks great.

Mary Ellen said...

I think using the same dark blue for the outer border is a good idea. The quilt is colorful and scrappy enough without introducing another color element at this point. The blues in the current sashings calm the quilt down and give it a cohesive feel.

em's scrapbag said...

I this it is wonderful!

dream quilt create said...

I love it,the colors are gorgeous together!!! Good for you for using your stash. I had to put mine on hold for a little while..... Yours is the first finished one in the sew along and it is beautiful.

Linda said...

I really like the way this quilt is looking Nedra. I agree the same fabric as the sashing would be good for the border. Congrats on using stash!

Nanette Merrill said...

breathtaking, I'm so impressed, and inspired, this is another lifetime achiever