Monday, May 23, 2011

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

Our daughter Amy is a wonderful cook. Whenever we share a meal at her home, I always ask for her recipes and come back my kitchen to see if I can duplicate the dish.
Our latest favorite is Quinoa and Black Bean Salad.
Light and fresh with just a little kick, this is a great addition to a summer meal.
Mr. Cactus kept complimenting the salad and ate several helpings in one sitting, so this recipe is a keeper.

I always thought Quinoa (pronounced Keen-Wah) was a grain. But with a little investigation, I've discovered that it is actually a member of the grass family and considered a psuedocereal.
Loaded with nutrition, Quinoa contains many essential Amino acids, and is rich in calcium, phosphorus and iron.
Quinoa is also a good source of fiber, and known for it's high protein content (12-18%).

Originally from South America, Quinoa is harvested in seeds.
An important first step is to rinse the seeds in a fine strainer with cold water, which will remove the bitter taste.

Quinoa is cooked the same way as rice, and becomes light and fluffy.
It's gluten free and easy to digest.

This is great time of the year to bring in fresh veggies for salads.


I love the tastes of combining black beans, corn, red peppers, cilantro, and scallions along with spices.


The salad is mixed with a light dressing whisked with fresh lime juice, salt, cumin and olive oil.


QUINOA and BLACK BEAN SALAD

1 1/2 C. quinoa

1 1/2 C. canned black beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 1/2 C. cooked corn (fresh, canned or frozen)

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

4 scallions, chopped

1 tsp. garlic, minced fine

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 C. fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine (cilantro)

1/3 C. fresh lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin

1/3 C. oil
Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve under cold running water until the water runs clear. Put quinoa in a pot with 2 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.

While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

Add beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cayenne and coriander to the quinoa. Toss well.

In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over salad and toss well with salt and pepper. Salad may be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.

(*although we think it's good straight from the fridge too!)

8 comments:

Lynette said...

Thank you for sharing, and in such detail. :) My 13yo just went vegetarian, so we are on the hunt for great recipes. We're going to try this today!

Char said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it. My sister makes it from time to time.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Nedra, I had to copy this one. Looks wonderful. Can't wait to see your scrappy quilt your working on. I know what you saying about fabric growing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for sharing, I had heard of this product and bought some a couple weeks ago but have yet to try it. It looks good.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Rae Ann said...

Yummm! Your pictures are enough to make anyone's saliva glands go to town. Thanks for sharing your great recipe with us!
Loved talking to you the other day!
Be sure and check out my blog for my giveaway. You won't want to miss it! Hugs to you and your family!

Cindy said...

I have yet to try Quinoa but this looks like the recipe that will entice me! Thanks Nedra.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've always wanted to try quinoa but never saw a recipe I liked, until now. Thanks!

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe and the information about quinoa. I will definitely try this. My DH is the cook in the family. I love to surprise him by occasionally fixing a meal:)