Monday, May 16, 2011

Italian Pie

Some of my happiest memories come from the times when the family is gathered round and we enjoy a nice Sunday dinner together.
It's a tradition that means a lot to me , and I'm grateful for children who continue to make these gatherings a high priority.
Now that my girls are older, and very capable in the kitchen, we take turns cooking.
Last night I hosted, and chose an Italian Theme for the menu.

I've been wanting to make Italian Pie since I saw the recipe and tutorial over on Nan Slaughter's blog Pots and Pins.
She called it Italian Easter Pie, but it really can be made any time of the year.

Nan always shows the most tantalizing foods on her blog.
This is a woman who recently went to Italy and took cooking classes.
If she says it's a 5-dang good recipe on the Richter scale, I trust her.
Plus, she's a great story teller and extremely funny.
Anyone who can cook and keep me laughing at the same time, gets my attention.

Italian Pie is not as sweet as the typical dessert here in the United States. I thought it was more like a rice pudding stuffed inside a phyllo dough base.
Lots and lots of butter, but every once in a while we need to splurge.
I deviated a slight bit and toasted sliced almonds instead of pine nuts, and thought the substitution worked out fine.
My daughter Aubrey called the pie "refreshing".
You can find the recipe with tutorial over on Nan's blog.
And yes, she's on my side bar where you can read more of her wonderful recipes and ideas.

5 comments:

Janet said...

The pie looks so interseting, droolworthy too. I'll go check out the blog and hope that calories don't come through the computer screen, lol.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds great. I know that many foreign countries enjoy sweets that are no where near as sweet as ours.

Kris said...

Oh, yum, Nedra!! I am not a real big fan of Italian but this looks really good!! And any dessert that is "refreshing" is a must have!! Kris

Pots and Pins said...

YES!!! I'm so glad you tried it and liked it! It's one of our favorites, and you're right, it can be made any day of the week! xo, Nan

Jan Marie said...

Oh my that looks good. I am more of a reader of recipies than an actual tryer of them.