Monday, August 22, 2011

Owl Embroidery #2

The hand embroidery got put away for the last few weeks while I've concentrated on other projects.
It was quite relaxing last weekend to sit and stitch on Owl #2.

A small piece measuring at 5" X 8"
I think God was very creative when he designed this amazing bird.
Did you know that Owls have 3 sets of eyelids, and yet they cannot move their eyeballs?

An owl can turn it's face upside down and swing it's head around and look behind it's back.
Wouldn't that be fun to do?


And owls have the amazing ability to open and close their ears.

I can think of a few times in my life when I really would have appreciated having that skill!


Owl Embroidery #2 went up on the design wall randomly placed next to the other completed blocks.

I am gradually working on my own design for a small quilt to be given to my grandchildren.


Inspiration came from seeing this quilt made from Vintage table scarves at the Arizona Quilter's Guild Show last March.


Where one of the blocks looked like this.
I was not able to find the vintage pattern anywhere on line, so I redrew it as best I could.

5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

That is a darling block and I feel so educated about owls now!!!

Gina E. said...

Aww, the dear little pets! I have booked into a workshop later this year, with an artist who is going to teach us how to draw owls with colored pencils. Her own work is exquisite, and if I can learn to draw one tenth as well, I'll be happy. Next to stitching, I like to draw and paint, and although I've stitched a few owls, I've never drawn one! Your blocks are adorable; lucky child, whoever ends up with that quilt.

Material Mary said...

I am so loving your vintage embroidery. This will be a treasured quilt for sure.
Mary

Browndirtcottage said...

Your little owls are just sweet as they can be Nedra!! I'm in love with that inspirational quilt too!

Lois Evensen said...

The owls are really, really cute. :)