Saturday, August 20, 2011

Farmer's Wife Blocks Using Fit To Be Quarter Ruler

Two more Farmer's Wife blocks are completed for this week's assignment.


I've been drafting blocks that have Quarter Square Triangles.


#69 Practical Orchard

My main reason for wanting to make QST's is because I wanted to use my new Fit to Be Quarter Ruler that I recently won from Open Gate


This ruler is perfect for making QST's.

First you decide what size you want your block to be, then add 1"

For example, for Practical Orchard's center, I needed 3 1/2", so I cut two contrasting fabrics 4 1/2".

Draw a line from corner to corner, and then sew 1/4th inch on both sides.


Cut down the center on the drawn line.


Press open. Lay 2 sides together, twisting the bottom square 180-degrees, which puts the colors facing opposite directions.
Draw a line from corner to corner, and sew 1/4th inch on both sides.


Cut down the center, and press open. This gives you two blocks, even though you only need one.


Now it's time to do some trimming up.


Lay the ruler on top, matching up the center lines.

Can you see how the center of the square matches perfectly at each diagonal?

Rotary cut the outside edges to get a perfect 3 1/2" Quarter Square Triangle.


#109 Windows

This technique will work with several Farmer's Wife blocks that include QST's.

# 6 Big Dipper

#17 Cat's and Mice

#22 Corn and Beans

#23 Country Farm

#53 Jack Knife

#104 Wild Geese

3 comments:

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

You know the one thing I do not have enough of is useful notions like that ruler - it looks wonderful, and so do you FW blocks. We're on holiday at the moment and each time we go out we pass a villa with an enormous cactus in the front garden and each time I think of you LOL!

Carol said...

WONDERFUL! I love that ruler! Just LOVE it!

Lois Evensen said...

Very nice! I haven't sewn for awhile (always away from the sewing machine out here traveling around), but I really enjoy watching your demos.