Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Last Day of Quilt Run

Yesterday Margaret and I finished our last day (for us) on the Southern California Quilt Run.
In the last week we visited 19 stores and had such a wonderful time. We put a lot of miles on the car, and were able to fit in fun events with Margaret's family, too.
Before heading back to Utah, we stopped in Temecula, California. What a quaint town. Most of the store fronts looked like they went back to the cowboy times of the 1800's. There was fun shopping along the main street. We made stops at the open air fruit market, which are so plentiful in this agricultural area.
Our first quilt shop of the day was "Quilter's Coop".
They had just recently expanded into this new building, and have decorated in such creative ways. This is a must stop if you are in the area. The staff was so helpful and nice to visit with.
Isn't this a great pocket of an apron? And I love the cherry fabric.



The store covers several rooms.




They carried a little bit of everything, from a Civil War section, to stitchery.

I loved this "12 Days of Christmas" made out of wool.
Designed by Cheri.




Look at the cute Christmas tree made out of fat quarters.


Our next stop was the Temecula Quilt Co.

I loved the thought of "Friends Gathering".
Isn't that what quilting does for us?

Every geographical area seems to have their own "style". This store carried all primitive and Civil War.


Wonderful art of display.
Store owner Sheryl was explaining to her customers about what it was like for her store to be selected for the upcoming "Fall 2009 Quilt Sampler".
Pictures of her store were taken a year ago. This will be the featured quilt in the magazine. I know I will be looking for a copy when it comes out.



Sheryl has put fabric ribbons on all of her quilts.
Wouldn't these be wonderful to use in a quilt show?



Our last stop before heading out of California was "Quilters Cocoon" in Riverside.

Owner Pagen was so delightful to visit with. She has listed every fabric at $7.95 because she feels the $10 price will scare too many quilters away from the art.

She had a great selection of batik's.

And a lot of Kaffe's in her quilts around the store. You know how I love those Kaffe's!







Thank you Margaret for being the best traveling companion a friend could ask for. She was raised in this area and knew how to get us from here to there and back again. And thank you to her beautiful family who included me in all the family events and were so kind.
It's good to be back in St. George, Utah although the temperatures are in the triple digits all week long. Saturday it's supposed to reach 111 degrees. Yikes!
I am missing that beautiful California sunshine, and perfect weather already.

12 comments:

SewCalGal said...

I'm happy to learn you had fun on the So. Cal Quilt Run. I enjoyed your updates as you participated on the run. I've only been able to make it to a few of the shops, but have had fun too!

I hope you'll come back again.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Hi Nedra, I'm heading for So. Calif on Tues...can hardly wait. I'll be attending the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach (my old stomping ground)...can't wait;) Thanks for sharing all of these quilt shops with all of us;) Try to keep cool.

Unknown said...

What a terrific way to wrap up the run! Such beautiful shops with so much to choose. CT has its state wide shop hop in September and I cannot wait. Love to see all the quilty inspiration. Stay cool.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Neither quilt shop was in Temecula when I lived in Fallbrook. Wow! I just discovered Temecula Quilt Company has a blog too.

Doreen K. said...

Welcome home. Thanks for the wonderful job you did of posting all the fabulous shops you and Margaret visited. You 2 had way too much fun.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

What an amazing trip, it has been wonderful to come along with you. One day I would love to come to America and visit lots of the quilt shops there...will keep dreaming and in the meantime, visit them through you xo

Material Mary said...

How fun to find a Quilt Sampler store. I love that magazine and always get it when it comes out..
Mary

dotti white said...

Nedra...great job of sharing the Cal. Quilt run. It never ceases to amaze me the beauty and creativity in each and every shop! Glad you are home--keep cool if you can. Mr. Cactus could probably help you with that by doing somersaults into the pool while you sit on the edge :)

Nanette Merrill said...

Welcome back. I can't believe I've gotten so out of touch. I had 12 posts from you in my reader! Yikes. That is the downside to little or no internet connection while I was gone and piles to come back to. It is nice to catch up. I loved the pictures in the quilt shops. I particularly liked the big triangle/half diamond quilt and the straps on that apron at the top with the cherries on it. Love that. It really is fun discovering new stores.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I've loved reading about the shops you visited! Thanks! ...and I really love that apron~ cute, cute, cute!

Carol said...

What wonderful shops! Thanks for taking us along with you!

V and Co. said...

hey i'm from san diego so i know where temecula is!