Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Del Ray Avocado Company

Yesterday as we headed into Fallbrook, California, Margaret and I noticed Del Ray Avocado Company along Main Street.
Both of us love avocados so much we pulled immediately into their parking lot.

Margaret was even brave enough to ask if by chance they offered tours of their warehouse.
The secretary replied that they usually do not take drop in's, but she would ask the owner.

We were met by Joe Reavis, who was very gracious to let us interrupt his work day by giving us a tour.
The avocado's are picked in near by orchards, and placed in these big bins.

They are sorted according to size and placed in boxes. Joe said one of the reasons avocados are so expensive is because they require a lot of water, and water is expensive.

The boxes are stored in a refrigerated room at 40 degree temps.
This large room held about 2 days worth of product.

Fallbrook is considered the Avocado Capitol of the World.
95% of all avocado production in the U.S. is from Southern California

Avocado's have great health benefits. They are known to have an effect on our blood serum cholesterol levels. They decrease LDL (bad) and increase HDL (good), and are a good source of potassium which regulates blood pressure.

Del Ray ships their avocados all over the world. Large refrigerated trucks were lined up outside the warehouse docks, and pulled through one by one to be loaded.

These boxes were being specifically packed for Costco. (The place where I usually buy my avocados).
Joe said they sell an organic brand of avocado. These must come from orchards where chemicals haven't been used for at least 3 years.

Have you ever wondered what an avocado tree looks like?
Some trees reach up to 65 feet in height.

The average tree produces 120 avocados annually.
Next time I eat an avocado I will be thinking Fallbrook, California, and how nice Joe was to give us a personal tour.
This really was one of the highlights of our trip.

14 comments:

CJ said...

Interesting! How awesome that he stopped his work and gave you a tour. I had to read this and see whose farm this was since a guy I went to school with (and had a huge crush on)eventually became an avocado farmer in southern CA. I'm not even sure where it was that he lived at that time. His name was not Joe Reavis though. ;)

Karen said...

Thanks for showing us behind the seens of the avocado production;) The biggest avocados I ever saw were in Peru...the pits were the size of soft balls...really:)

Unknown said...

That is just so cool! First I love the fact that you stopped to ask about a tour. Second, they were kind enough to do one. I will remember this when on vacation. I just love avocados too. Thanks so much for the tour. It was definitely interesting.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Yum I love avacado's too! Thanks for the interesting tour! :-)

Material Mary said...

Very interesting facts there about the avocado. Thanks for sharing.
Mary

Abby and Stephanie said...

Oh how I hate to pay for an avocado. When I lived in Fallbrook we had trees in our yard. Oh the guacamole!!! I know just where Del Ray is. :o)

Kim Walus said...

What a fun and interesting post. Now I know where our avocados come from. I'll have to show this to my husband who especially loves avocados.

Sherri said...

Very interesting...I love avocados...and in fact I'm seriously eating one right now for lunch!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

mmmm Yummy, You are having a great summer too!!

Wendy P said...

If you're headed for Poway, you are going to love Amidon Quilt Shop. I did.

And if you are going to Ramona, go further East to Julian and have a piece of pie for me! The apple pie at the Julian Pie Company is to die for.

Agent MAR said...

This is so cool how your article showed up in the search engines within a day! Great photos and you have blessed us here in Fallbrook!

Micki said...

What a wealth of information! I really enjoyed the post!
Micki

Dawn said...

Fun avocado facts!! I love avocados!! Yummo!

Nanette Merrill said...

Very enlightening. I had never even thought before "where do avocados come from?" I had some in a sandwich today for lunch. I love them too.