Sunday, September 4, 2011

Labor Day Signals

In the United States, Labor Day was first introduced in 1882 by the Central Labor Union of New York.

President Cleveland set aside the first Monday in September as a holiday to soothe conflicts between Government and Labor Unions.


It's known as a Workingman's holiday.


Labor Day is a day that signals events on many levels.

In high society, it is the last day for fashionable women to wear white.


Growing up, I was told it was a big no-no to wear white shoes after Labor Day.

(that little voice still echoes in my head, and I tend to follow the rule even though I am probably the only one on the planet to do so!)


Now in the United States, Labor Day signals the end of those lazy days of summer.

The last chance for a family get-away.

But even more, it's a signal of the beginning of the NFL and College football season!

And for some of us, Labor Day signals that the kids are heading back to school, and it's time to concentrate on things that pleasingly involve work, white and maybe even football.

6 comments:

Kris said...

Cute post, Nedra!! I remember the admonition to not wear white shoes after Labor Day!! Good thing for me because I don't think I have owned a white pair of shoes since my Easter shoes of 1958!! :-) Kris

Me and My Stitches said...

You are not the only one - my Mom is stressing about that she "can't" wear white when we go to Florida in a few weeks!

Lois Evensen said...

I, too, think twice before wearing anything light after Labor Day. I can still hear Mom's voice in my head.... ;)

Maxine said...

I guess there are lots of us who still adhere to the other "golden rule" of not wearing white after Labor Day. My white sandals and the one white tee shirt I have were put away LAST WEEK to avoid the mistake of wearing them any time soon.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

White after labor day, never!! Fun post! Enjoy you day!

Melissa said...

My girlfriend Jen and I were always debating (while living in Southern California) whether we were the only ones who knew about the "no white after Labor Day" rule. LOL