Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Mighty Woman With A Torch

When we finished a quilt top up at Rae Ann's cabin there was great celebration.
You just have to love these ladies and their great sense of humor.

Suzann became the Statue of Liberty reciting:
"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land.
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand,
A mighty woman with a torch..."
(Yes, she knew it word for word!)

With an entire week at our machines, we did get a lot done. Our friendships were strengthened, and I learned so much from each lady.

Jackie is one of the kindest women I have ever met. She is a busy mom, who teaches music to the young children at church, and also works in the office of an elementary school.
As Rae Ann's neighbor, she has been to the cabin many times over the years.
Jackie took squares she received in a block exchange and sewed them around a pre-printed panel.

The panel served as a guide for wool applique and stitchery. Isn't that a great idea?

And it was so fun to spend a week with my girlfriend Judi, who you have seen a lot on my posts. She just got through putting on a wedding for her daughter, and wasn't sure if she had the time or energy to join us. How fortunate we felt that she could come! We call her "Doctor Judi" who teaches us so much about women's health and nutrition. We all felt like little sponges, wanting to soak up everything she had to say.
Judi worked on a fall applique quilt.
Here is what Susann's quilt really looked like when finished.
Susann is the comedian of the group. She kept us laughing and laughing.
I'm telling you, anytime I have a sad moment, I will be bringing back the Statue of Liberty image in my mind, complete with cute Susann trying to be serious as she recited her poem.
Beautiful Christmas fabrics.

Another finished quilt by Susann.
When I got back to St. George, the temperature was 106 degrees.
I am going through major withdrawals, wishing I was back in Wyoming with the ladies taking our evening walks...
...seeing the stunning landscape of Star Valley....

with lilac trees in full bloom...

...and missing those spectacular sunsets each evening.
Thank you again Rae Ann for inviting me along.

9 comments:

Material Mary said...

Love the statue of liberty celebration. Too funny!! Enjoy sunny hot hot hot St George.
Mary

Elisabeth said...

I can understand that you had a real good time. Wish I could bee there with you all :-)

Mary Grace McNamara said...

I was just in New York City a few weeks ago and got within spitting distance of the real Statue of Liberty. I have to say, Susann was doing a pretty darn good imitation there, and her flowing gowns looked a lot more interesting than those of the real Lady Liberty!

Fun times and great memories for you lucky ladies!

MGM

MGM

em's scrapbag said...

This retreat looks like it was so much fun. Hilarious entertainment, the Statue of Liberty story is just too funny. Beautiful quilts, such inspiration there. Good food, got to have chocolate. And great company, time with friends is priceless. So glad you had such a wonderful time.

Rae Ann said...

I loved having you there Nedra!
You and I are both going through withdrawals and I am asking my Prince Charming daily... how soon until we head up there?
Hugs!

Darlene said...

What a delightful week - so much talent!

Next time you guys have a retreat, I'm crashing it with Carol. We'll sit quietly and try really hard to behave (I promise). LOL

Carol said...

Incredible, just incredible...you all got so much done...what a tremendous group!

Janet said...

What a fabulous time had by all. It was so nice to see peeks of projects.

Nanette Merrill said...

Star Valley is one of my most favorite places on earth. Love all the girls. I've met Suzann but I'm sure I know Jackie from somewhere too. What a great setup to sew together like that.