Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Nevada Kind of Day

I had the privilege of picking Pam Holland up in Las Vegas yesterday. She will be here for the next few days to teach at the School of Threadology for Superior Threads.
Pam is from Australia, and travels the world as a teacher.
Knowing that Pam is also an outstanding photographer, I thought she might like to see some of the beauty of Nevada.

Our first stop was Hoover Dam just outside of Vegas.
One of the interesting sites is to see the construction of the Colorado River Bridge that is underway.
Hovering 900 feet over the river, this by-pass bridge spans 2,000 feet and is an architectural wonder.
I wanted to take Pam into the quaint town of Boulder City for lunch. When we got there the streets were lined with cars, and the town square was filled with people attending a Crafts Fair.
It was fun to mingle with the crowds and to see the antiques and vendor booths.
The fair had a wonder car show with rows of restored and very unique vehicles.

Our next stop was Valley of Fire, one of my favorite places.

Beautiful red sandstone formations that were formed 150 million years ago when dinosaurs walked the Earth.

Atlatl Rock
3,000 year old petroglyphs from the Pueblo Anasazi Indians

We took a hike through White Dome, that contains a small slot canyon.

It was a treat for me to follow Pam, and to hear her comments through an artists perspective. She gathered quilt ideas in many of the rock formations.

Make sure to go over to Pam's blog and see her photo gallery of the pictures she took yesterday. She has an amazing camera and a trained eye that far exceeds what I have shown you.
Last night, strewn out on the bed in the guest room, Pam showed us some of her quilts she has brought for her classes. Amazing! We are in for such a treat!

7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Wow...what an amazing experience! Gorgeous pictures too.

Kim Walus said...

What a wonderful time. You have met some really amazing women through quilting. Thank you for sharing these kinds of experiences with us. I look forward to hearing more about Pam Holland. She is definitely an INSPIRING and AMAZING women! Wow!

Browndirtcottage said...

Hi Nedra...just wanted to say I am now caught up with you and all the goings on at Cactus Needle! I am just always amazed and inspired by your talents and how much you get done...I am just a slow-pokey I guess. I appreciate all the info you share!!!

Gayle said...

I've wanted to visit Boulder ever since you first told me about it a few years ago. And Valley of Fire is on my list too.

Material Mary said...

You are such a thoughtful hostess. I'm positive that your efforts were much appreciated and treasured.
Mary

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm glad her visit has been nice. I know you were concerned about the race being at the same time.

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to go to Zion, maybe someday. Looks like you had a great trip.