Sunday, June 19, 2011

Chapel of The Holy Cross

With it being Sunday, I wanted to show you one of my favorite spots in Sedona.
I really didn't feel any kind of special energy around the Vortex sites listed for the area.
Where I felt the most peace and spiritual influence was at the Chapel of The Holy Cross.

This simple and yet stunning Roman Catholic Chapel is built right into the red rock mesas.
Commissioned by sculptor Margurite Bush Wigstaude, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. Designed by architects Anshen & Allen.
The inspiration came to Margurite in 1932 as she observed the newly constructed Empire State Building in New York. "When viewed at a certain angle, a cross seemed to impose itself through the very core of the structure."
Completed in 1956, the design was considered very bold and daring for the era.


A free form standing walkway leads up to the top of the mountain.

Inside the chapel is quiet, simple and small.

Many visitors light candles, pray and find solace for a few moments.


It was a little challenging to get the right lighting on my camera as the room was only lit by the natural light coming through the window.




From the outside of the building, the surrounding vistas are breathtaking.



There really is a special feeling as you enter the chapel.

Margurite's desire was that "This would be a monument to faith, but a spritual fortress so changed with God, that it spurs man's spirit Godward."

A site well worth visiting.

6 comments:

Truffle queen said...

We vacationed in Sedona about 20 years ago! There was actually a small wedding going on at sunset at the chapel! Beautiful! I'm sure Sedona had grown in leaps and bounds since then!

mamammelloves said...

I love visiting this chapel and light a candle each time I'm there. Such a beautiful place! :)

Char said...

Thanks for sharing. That's so beautiful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the chapel is beautiful!! We have several chapels in Arkansas that are designed and built into unique areas and I need to get some photos of them sometime - but this one in the red rocks is really special
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lois Evensen said...

Very pretty! I've seen pictures of this chapel in a couple of places today. I would love to see it in person someday.

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow. I've never been to Sedona. What a great place, so different and interesting.